German Halftracks with 75mm guns

Why is my Quick Battle German opponent so enamored of those halftracks with 75mm guns that invariably cark it on first sighting of a Churchill or Cromwell? I must have wasted 7 of the mediocre trash these last few days. Yes, they beat up on my airborne boys if given a chance, but the AI sure is predictable in what it chooses in a QB game.

probably the ai doesn't use them too well. check out the purchase points: they're cheap, they pack a punch, and if you buy vets they might get a few shaped charges in there as well. use them for recce and supporting assaults(surpressing defending inf). In effect use them as semi-disposable assault guns. The big point is that you buy them from the "vehicles" pool, not the "armour" one. The allies haven't got anything like them.

75mm/20mm HT's? I love 'em!!

Actually, the M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage is the direct allied equivalent and was quite a common item, used in every TD and cavalry battalion. But in CM, these for some reason are treated as "armor" points rather than "vehicle" points. There is no good reason for that, really, it is just an arbitrary bit of CM design.

Presumably because they wanted 75mm German HTs to be common in mech and combined arms forces, while the M8HMCs were TD and cav (thus mech or armor realistically, but not so common in combined arms).

It would probably be more consistent to have all sorts of light armor in the vehicle page, included armored cars and light tanks, and some SP guns, etc. Leaving tanks and TDs on the armor page. But they just didn't classify things that way.

Incidentally, a couple of 75mm HTs was a very common "heavy weapons" component of German panzergrenadier forces. They used halftrack mounts for items that would be dismounted guns and teams in the ordinary infantry, to give them the mobility to keep up with an armored attack. 20mm AA and 37mm AA (or in the early war 37mm AT), 75mm infantry guns and 81mm mortars, went along with heavy MG teams to provide the ranged fire support of infantry companies and battalions. As towed guns for plain infantry, on halftracks for armored panzergrenadiers.

Those German HTs with a 75 can work wonders if used properly. You do need to keep them in cover and if you move them move them fast.

I've taken out a Sherman head-on with one.

Naturally though they are much more potent when they DON'T have to deal with enemy armour.

GAFF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonC:

Incidentally, a couple of 75mm HTs was a very common "heavy weapons" component of German panzergrenadier forces.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But only in the gepanzert (sp?) battalions. There is usually only one gepanzert battalion per Panzer Division and non at all in a Panzergrenadier Division

Considering that the poor fellows have been issued substandard ammunition they do a fine job.

At the time of CM:BO the “Stummels” (75mm/L24) had been issued the HL/C hollow charge round which could penetrate some 25% more armour than the round currently depicted in CM (HL/B, judging by the stat screen numbers).

M.