I really, really hate to ask this

I'm embarrassed, and I'm sure I'll ruin any reputation I don't have on this board, but like a young GI whose can't put off sick-call any longer because that peepee drip just isn't getting any better......

I must ask for help..

I have never and I mean NEVER seen the "HULL DOWN" message on mine or an enemy tank. Not while using the LOS and not while using TARGET, not againt tanks and not againt guns, not with options on and not with options off, not on ANYTHING have I seen the "Hull Down" message.

Now, having said that, I preordered this game so I've had it for a while. I have tried to turn on any and all options in the hot key list. Yes, I have done a search, and yes I am very (1st paragraph) very embarrassed to ask for help. I know Im not the best tanker in.... well anywhere, but I should of at least stumbled, fell, tripped into a "hull down" position by now.

This isn't a gripe or complaint but a polite request for help on a subject so worn out, that had it been my underware my wife would have thrown them out last august (if I hadn't been wearing them since).

Thanks..

GreasyPig

I know the problem is likely to me or my machine.

ok, just me.... does anybody got any saav?

Hull down is not a command. It a relative position between a tank and target (and vice versa). It essentially means the object looking at the tank only sees the turret.

You accomplish this by maneuvering your tank using terrain to make your turret visible (and nothing else).

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

IIRC=If I Recall Correctly

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

Since we're all coming out of the closet.

What the "f" does IIRC mean?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i remember correctly

also

HTH: hope that helps

AIR: as I recall

YMMV: your mileage may vary -- ie. this may not work for you.

RTFM: read the f#$@ing manual

TIA: thanks in advance

If your vehicle is indeed hull down to a specific enemy tank, you should get that message when targeting that tank. The message should be displayed behind your vehicle and the enemy vehicle will also have a similar message if it is hull down relative to you.

Try a simple test: Create a test scenario by placing a stone wall on a map. Select a friendly and an enemy vehicle. Place your vehicle behind the wall and fire up the game. Target the enemy vehicle, you should then see the hull down message behind your vehicle.

Remember that hull down is dynamic, i.e. it is entirely relative to each target.

Dr. Brian, IIRC means "If I remember correctly."

Gotcha,

Thanks for the reply,

I don't need help with its definition, I have a good idea of what it is and how to theoretically achieve it.

I just have NEVER in all the times I played, with all the patches, never seen the MESSAGE "Hull Down".

I understand all things are abstrated in CM. But given the number of games played and the attempts Ive made to acheive it, I have never seen the message "Hull Down".

Now it may well be I'm an idoit (my wife thinks so) and thats very probable but as the old saying goes "Even a broken clock is right twice a day".

I would like to believe that Im just not getting the actual message ie I dont have the right combination of options on. Or my video card doesnt some how support it (Banshee).

So to say again,

- I understand what hull down is,

- I have wasted the year 2000 playing hundreds of QBs,

SO.....

A) I think there is something not configured right on my machine to make the actuall message "Hull Down" appear in all the hundred attempts of driving my tank around hills and such while using the target and/or los commands.

-OR-

B) I'm in a coma and this is all some weird brain activity....

GreasyPig

PS If its D... Why in the HELL can't I dream of Heather Locklear or Shenia Twain???

please don't say D,please don't say D,please don't say D

The only way you will see the actual "Hull Down" message is while you target an enemy tank. When you do so, if you are hull down to him, the "Hull Down" will appear under your end of the LOS string, if he is HD, it will appear under his end. But you have to actual select your unit and pull the targetting string to see them.

Jeff heidman

I am a computer engineer and can tell you that it is not your PC. The Banshee AFAIK(as far as i know wink.gif) is supported not that it would matter. Also I believe there is no option to change or modify the hull down situation. Try the wall scenario above.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

The reason (before anyone asks) that the support for the Banshee doesn't matter to the problem is because if it wasn't supported you wouldn't see anything whether it be the opening movie or a hull down message!

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

GreasyPig:

Just a thought: Maybe 'Hull Down' is a so called "detailed message" and you have that option turned off in the game? Check the hotkeys within the game and make sure they're turned on.

I don't have my copy of CMBo here at work, so I can't test this out for you.

GAFF

Greasy: I also had trouble getting my 1st Hull Down. (don't read that too fast) What I do is when I find a hill/slope/wall anything to hide behind is a small series of Hunt commands over the hill. I do like 10 or 15 hunts to cover maybe 30-40 meters. That way when your armor is coming over the rise of the hill it can spot and stop when an enemy is spotted. I get Hull Down all the time now.

Try it!

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Ok fellas,

I told you it was a stupid question. I just wanted you to know that I know that you know it was a worn subject so I thank you for the polite responces.

I will definitely try setting up a senario. If I can get it to work at all it should be there.

now since the subject veered a little and to leave no questions left on my ignorence.

what does "sic" mean??

GP

[This message has been edited by GreasyPig (edited 01-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by GreasyPig (edited 01-09-2001).]

Greasy Pig,

Go to the CM scenario editor, and on clear flat terrain put a stone wall. Place a tank just behind it and an enemy tank on the opposite side of the stone wall say 400m away.

Drag a LOS or Target line >from the enemy tank< to the tank behind the wall and you SHOULD see "Hull Down" in the target description (along with To Hit%, range etc)

Now drag a LOS or Target line >from the tank behind the wall< to the enemy tank in the open. A note should appear next to the tank behind the wall saying "Hull Down (bow MG blocked)".

If you dont see any of these text notes, let me know.

Lt Bull