Shapes of maps on CM2

Hi

I talked about this with some guys a while ago but maybe it got lost somewhere... Anyway 'my' idea was that with CM2 we should be given a choise (in QBs) to choose the shape of the map ie. wide as now but also square and what's more important the deep map.

This should be easy and it would give right away new choices to think about in QBs. tongue.gif

Any comments?

Funny Coincidence; I have a sister named Deathdealer. It's a small world. :cool:

I second that notion. Narrower maps would make those attack/defend QBs a lot more challenging- for the attacker.

Also, while I'm at it, random attacker chosen by computer.

Death to MEs!

God, I hope I didn't screw up with these Instant thingies.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alexander:

Also, while I'm at it, random attacker chosen by computer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better yet, randomize who's the attacker, and whether it's a probe, attack, or assault.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Death to MEs!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hear Hear!

Think I'll say something too.

For QBs I would like to view the map before me and my opponent battle. This way you can choose your equipment accordingly.

I know sometimes the commander DIN"T get to see the terrain before, other times he did.

Maybe there could be SCOUT purchase you can make,(before the battle) which would cost you points, maybe 50 points. This would show you the map. This would represent you sending a squad out or a scout plane to recon the area.

How about that?

In any case I just want to see the battle filed before I fight on it.

Comments?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel22:

In any case I just want to see the battle filed before I fight on it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Send me perameters for a QB. I'll auto generate a map and send the empty map to you and your opponent. Then each of you sends me your unit selections. I put them on the map, tournament save it, and send it to you. Then you play it. Email me if you're interested. I'm still amazed on how few people take me up on this.

YES! I was just thinking the same thing today and someone posts it!

In a way, you can tell that CM was not really designed for big games (3000 pt or larger). While maps for smaller QBs (1000 or so) are more or less square, as you go up in size the maps get much longer but not much wider. At the upper range you get maps that are so long that in an Attack/Defend QB the defender cannot purchase enough troops to cover that much frontage, but is so shallow that he cannot do a proper defence in depth either.

And defence in depth is the reason it is needed. The lack of this abitily is one of the main reasons why it is more difficult to defend in CM than if real life (there are others as well).

Here's what is needed IMO: The current map shapes are fine for MEs, but for Attack/Defend QBs they should be square with somewhat less length and a whole lot more depth, perhaps 2-3 times more depth than current. Instead of having all the VLs stretched in a long single line across the map, they would be staggered East-West as well as North-South. This would make it perhaps easier for the attacker to capture the nearest VLs, but a significant acheavement to get the ones furthest back from his settup zone. This would add tremendously to the realism of attack/defend QBs. You would probably have to bump the attacker point advantage back up at bit, but that's fine.

Kwazydog, if you can get Charles to do this for CM2 you will be my favorite BTS dude.