Airplanes should be more visible in CM2

I would be satisfied if we could just have some sort of recognition that one has been shot down, right now we see the shadow of a live plane and the sound of it passing and straffing - but you have no audio/visual clue that you have shot one down. I would love to be able to see wreckage, or even to add a sound wave file of a plane plumetting and crashing to earth. The icing on the cake would be to see a little parachute floating down so we could capture the pilot too :D

CDIC

I think thats a little out of CM scope. As for wrechage the plane most likly would crash off the map... after all most CM maps are way under 1 mile. And a Air caft going most likely over 150 miles per hour wouldn't crash any where near the map. Maybe a few miles away.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

CM is a ground warfare game. Aircraft are beyond what BTS would or should be expected to model. They have done very well in including CAS at all. If you want planes, get a flight simulator.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would be satisfied if we could just have some sort of recognition that one has been shot down<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last time I shot a plane down, I heard an explosion and the shadow disappeared.

It may be a ground warfare game, but air power obviously played a major tactical role throughout much of the war, particularly the period and area modeled in CM. I've always felt it's underrepresented the game. Combined arms was the name of the game, after all.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Last time I shot a plane down, I heard an explosion and the shadow disappeared.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh.. Dave, isn't that illegal? dammit who let in the terroists here!!

How about this --a nice German black project, begun reasearch in early 1945 and much thanks to one of my favorite web sites Luft' 46, I am into fine scale models and the GErman air craft black projects are my favorite besides kraut tanks.... tp111-1a.jpg

I have a resin model kit of this very plane and it is sweeeeeeet... by the way to any people with Qs about what it uses its a RAMJET

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Fieldmarshall ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

It may be a ground warfare game, but air power obviously played a major tactical role throughout much of the war, particularly the period and area modeled in CM. I've always felt it's underrepresented the game. Combined arms was the name of the game, after all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anymore proof of that than your opinion? :D

Ok aitken but I dont have time this week..as it looks since you have obviously been cheating using the auto save because you even found the arty spotters behind the hill.....and I already have another PBEM and other responsibilities (job I know but its for summer and high school and the like I work in a hobby shop, ah its like I am in heaven...) anyway sniffel* sniffel* you win...for now,,,,but I will once again some day challenge you to a SCENARIO not a QB some time.......hahahahha

Best of luck

-Fieldmarshall

Damn, you found me out. It would have been really tough shelling all your troops sitting in full view of my positions unless I hacked the game... and as for the Panther, everyone knows it was invincible, even to 17 pounder shots from the rear. And of course you were crippled by that 150% force strength thing... you're right, we really ought to have a rematch on more even terms.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

Yes, the histories, memoirs, and documentaries I've seen and read on the ETO. Read about D-Day, the breakouut, the Ardennes, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err, yes I have read a lot of these, thank you very much, and according to my interpretation of the sources I have read, air support is at best correctly, but probably slightly overmodelled, it certainly is not undermodelled.

Most of the effect was on supply lines, and support units, not on the battles that CMBO depicts.

The breakout, Cobra, Totalize - massive bombardments, outside the scope of CMBO

Falaise - shoot 'em up of supply columns in a traffic jam

Ardennes - hitting the supply columns

Epinal, Mortain, probably overstated in the context of battles, but huge impact in getting onto the battlefield in time, and freedom of movement; outside CMBO's scope

Steve has written some lengthy posts on sir support on page three and four of the new SMG proposal thread. Maybe you want to read those.

Anything else?

What about Kursk where 9th Panzer lost something like 70 tanks in less than an hour to Sturmoviks while in the middle of an assault on Ponyri? Or the Russian Brigade destroyed almost entirely by airpower while trying to launch an attack into the flank of the SS Panzer Corps?

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

Battles where your tanks are trying to fend off massive air attack wouldn't be much fun, would they? A plane adds another dimension to a battle, but there is no place in CM for more than a couple. In order for that kind of fight to be even, the side with the planes would have to have no ground forces, ie. nothing at all to command. I repeat, CM is a ground combat game, so while it can feature the odd plane, air-ground battles are outwith its scope.