We need a MODDING guide !

I'd a try at modding under PSP, well, it was a mess, can't even figure how to change the color of a camo scheme..

But I know there are some VERY talented and knowledgeable people about this right here...If their kindness will go up to putting up a "guide" of some sort about modding - at least the basics...-, I'm sure there will be new vocations smile.gif even if I think it'll be above me anyway :P

I am not sure how PSP works as i use PhotoShop 5.

They way i make mods is the MAD way...all hand made or there abouts.

First off try and get a clear idea in your head of the end result.....and then experiment like feck.!!!!

I have no training in Graphics , just a touch of madness and lots of spare time to experiment....and that was the advice given to me by a very noble modder.

When i started my first mod ..which was to become my Ambush Hetzer all i did was to spray green cammo over the game supplied texture..then i used ResEdit to get it to play on my imac.

Once i knew i could add colour it was off to the Mad- house with me....i then had to learn about some of the things PS could do...and i am still learning..so i may not be the best person to guide you frown.gif

Regards

Måkjager

ps...currently taking a break from making mods as i started to feel the strain in my mouse hand from TOOOO many hours at the mod mines frown.gif

but i shall return smile.gif

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage

Guest Mikey D

I think Michelangelo, when asked about how he did his sculptures, said "I take a block of marble and knock off all the pieces that don't belong."

To do a mod you take a bmp file, import it into a painting program (I use Photoshop) then keep altering and altering it until all the pieces that don't 'look right' are gone.

If a widget lacks a shadow, put in a shadow. If it's too bright make it less bright. If the road wheel wheel isn't round enough on screen, make it more round on the bmp! just keep nibbling and nibbling and nibbling at the art til you run out of things to fix. No quick way around it.

From poor man's modder, it has to be Tiger or Bergman/Molek IMO. No others. Those guys resume shows extreme quality and matched quantity. There bag of tricks are totally full and know what their doing. There are some with as much talent but not as active. If Tiger/Bergman don't have time, then you need to go to DD, Fernando, Duplessis, etc...

Be nice to have, as I certainly could use tips to make bette mods.

Well,

One problem with this is that I doubt that any two mod developers work similarly. As an example, Marco and I have completely different approaches to working on mods even though we use slightly different versions of the same program. The main thing is that there is no *right* way to develop a mod. It varies tremendously based on the author, the program being used and even the particular mod being developed.

Of course, the bigger problem is: which is more important, working on mods, or working on a mod developer's FAQ? smile.gif

I can't speak for the other mod authors, but I could certainly spend a little time putting together some helpful hints and tips (based solely on my own personal style, again, not claiming that it's the right way) if somebody volunteers to do all the grunt work of compiling and editing such a document.

Gordon