No resource files for Mac version of CMBB?

I read on a thread here on this forum a while back that the Mac version of CMBB will use the same Data folder system as the PC version instead of resource files, is this true or is this something for CM2?

I hate having to hand fix resources after adding high res mods and a PC like system would be welcome.

Gyrene

Well, Gyrene, I can't vouch for the authenticity of this, but Aikidorat (he of MCMIII fame) said that Charles told him that we'd be using BMPs in folders, instead of resource files, for CMBB. So, it's third hand, but I sure hope it's true. :D

I'm tired of running out of space in those damn resource files...very frustrating for a dyed-in-the-wool mod slut. :mad:

so far, that's what I hear as well.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything to contradict it, but so far, looks good!

of course, I havent heard anything lately, so I'm still propagating what i heard from a while ago.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough though.

smile.gif

dave

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Might be good, but I'm wondering if using BMP's instead of resources would slow things down. There must be some reason why everybody uses resources, maybe it's just easier?<hr></blockquote>

As a Mac developer myself, I imagine it came down to convenience. Iterating a directory and doing file name comparisons isn't as convenient as asking the resource manager for resource number X.

Couple that with a mis-read of people's desire for hi-res mods (so I've heard) and resource files were a nice solution from a development standpoint.

Re: slowing down, well that would depend on a lot of factors. If you just want to compare loading a PICT from a resource vs loading a BMP from a file, there shouldn't be any difference in either direction that a user would notice. What goes on behind the scenes, however, could make a difference.