22 hours of WW2: World At War re-run starts

The epic 26 part TV documentary, World At War, is being repeated on BBC2 on Sunday (13/01/01).

The Stalingrad episode is supposed to be amazing, but I haven't seen the series before.

It is narrated by Laurence Olivier, and to buy the series on DVD would cost something stupid like £80.

A 26-parter at around $100 or so, (what's the exchange rate anyway?) is a steal, IMHO.

I believe the exchange rate is about $1.25USD/1 UK pound which then my above $100 quote is right on.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-13-2001).]

This series was weekly viewing material when it ran in the early/mid '70s when I was a kid. The theme music is burned into my brain. Truly a well done documentary and worth the time spent watching. I don't think it has been rebroadcast on our side of the pond (US) since the either the 50 yr anniv. of the start or end of the war. Enjoy!

"World at War" has been playing on the History Channel here in Canada for some time, albeit in the wee hours of the morning (I think 3 or 4 am Pacific Time). I caught a few episodes when I was working a graveyard shift a while back and couldn't get to sleep afterward. The Stalingrad episode was pretty amazing. All in all pretty cool.

Guest Michael emrys

I saw some episodes in around 1976 and some more about two years later and was very impressed. In those days they weren't that far off the cutting edge of historical research on WW II. Not sure exactly how well they would hold up now, but probably mostly still sound.

Michael

According to the New York Fed, the exchange rate as of yesterday was 1.477 Dollars to the Pound.

Bear in mind that that's the official rate, and in practice you'd be paying a changer's fee on top of that.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

I have the series on video. You can get from Time-Life and only pay so much a month. I've seen it advertized on four video tapes for a lot less.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

the stalingrad episode is really good but my favotites are the german drive on moscow..the new guniea..an the u-boat episode's it pretty much after all these year's is still the best

documentary on ww2..oh yeah the german invasion of poland had excellent insight(as well as footage) into prewar germany an poland an the invasion of france had great footage as well.

Though it's not much use to historians, I still like the old "Victory at Sea" series. I especially enjoy the music and I have that one on video tape as well.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flipper:

cool music did you know that all the airplane scene's the music is done in F minor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting! I'll have to watch it again and look for that feature.

------------------

Guest Michael emrys

Many elements of the story were given leitmotifs that get repeated on the soundtrack whenever those elements reënter the narrative. The Theme of the Fast Carriers, for instance, or the theme for Victorious Japan.

The basic melodies were written by Richard Rogers, but I understand that the orchestral score was pulled together by Robert Russel Bennet, who I believe conducted the orchestra.

Yes, that show and its music had a powerful effect on my young life. As history it was, as I later discovered, one-sided and overwrought. But if you just look at it as a variety of drama, it still can be a powerful experience, just as from the other side The Triumph of the Will can be described in similar terms.

Lesson learned: Be very careful of propaganda, especially the kind that appeals to you.

Michael

The World at War series is well worth watching.I remember watching it as a child in the '70s and I recently got the entire series on VHS at a car-boot sale(garage sale,to our US friends)for a fiver!The footage is generally very good, interspersed with interviews with veterans who took part in the campaigns featured,and its narrated by the late Sir Laurence Olivier!What more could you want.

I went to Amazon.com to see if this series was available there on DVD (its not) and came a cross a nice set of WWII DVD lists you guys might be interested in:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/2U3OFFY48ALTP/ref=lm_d_1/106-5454107-7484427

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

Picked up the entire series (9 tapes or 26 shows I believe) at a local store here in Toronto for only $80 Canadian (US$50).

It was well worth the price, but some "tread-heads" should be warned that the focus is definitely on the social and political impact of the war, and the grand strategies that were employed. If I recall correctly, there was very little in the way of detailed coverage of weapons and tactics.

Guest aka PanzerLeader

I liked the very first part, "A New Germany", and the Eastern front episodes. Is it just me or has Kursk been completely forgotten? After 1943 I feel the emphasis is way too much on the Western Allies.

I have the entire set in video but can't watch them for the moment here in Brazil...I'll have to buy a universal VCR(and TV!!)first frown.gif

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka PanzerLeader:

Is it just me or has Kursk been completely forgotten?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno. I recently got a copy of The Battle for Kursk 1943: The Soviet General Staff Study edited and translated by David M. Glantz and Harold S. Orenstein. I'm making my way slowly through it.

Michael