Auto remove crews?

Wouldn't it make sense if the crew always try to leave the battlefield to friendly map edges under AI control?

Of course I can't swear it, but I don't think that it was a common practice that a field commander forces a surviving crew to stay and fight, or to use them as scouts.

I think if it is a historical scenario then for sure crews should not take part in a further action, but if it is a QB where the forces are un-realistically the "best of the best" (unless chosen by the computer) in PBEM games then I would use the crews for any means.

Just another idea for limiting a player's use of crew for spotting and scouting: Why not have the crews "experience level" (i.e., Conscript, Green, etc.) drop two levels upon abandoning their vehicle. In other words, a Veteran crew would become Green after they bailed out. Also make them NEVER come under command of a command unit, no matter how close they are, except for purposes of rallying them so players could still try to rally panicked crews to get them "the hell out of dodge". This would make it much harder to use them as scouts or observers, as the command delay would be difficult to deal with, and they'd panic really easily.

This would still allow you to move a crew forward if this makes the best sense - for example, if there is a heavy building right in front of them, but open ground covered by enemy fire behind them. It would also allow Crack and Elite crews to still have some (limited) utility as infantry, which I imagine crews of this calibre really would - but far below their point value, making risking them a poor gamble.

Also make their spotting ability really bad -but I think that's been done already, I think. Maybe it needs to be worse.

Just another idea.

Cheers,

YD

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tanaka:

The scoring system in CM "invites" the players to not use crews in risky tasks. So, I really don't see any problems with crews in CM.<hr></blockquote>

This is right, but the few points really doesn't matter. The information you will gain does. Just see it this way : a crew uncovers your hidden AT. You kill one or two crewmen instead of the valueable tank you are waiting for.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

I thought that article from WWII posted weeks ago showed that indeed surviving members of units were used for all kinds jobs.<hr></blockquote>

One minute after they jumped out of their tank? I don't think this is realistic. First, they have no weapons - except some pistols. Then they have no orderes. So they would first need to find usefull weaponry, then they need to find someone who order them to do something. What doesn't mean that they want to find someone who tell 'em to risk their lives a few minutes after they survived the dead of their tank/gun. Even if Hollywood tell us, human beings are usually not so heroic. Even if they are they would need some time to organize, and I guess more time that the CM timeframe gives us.

Beside that, if they would just get beserk and join the battle out of command, they are just that: out of command. So you wouldn't be able to give them orders.