Huge scenario "Botrytis II" needs PBEM testing...

Hello Gents,

I need to finalize my scenario, created for a PBEM-play only. I need players to play test the scenario in its current set-up/force make-up form, but it is quite big, so please make sure that you read below before volunteering:

EDIT: April 2006: Botrytis II (v2.2)

Many issues re-visited and revised, inter alia flag placements and load-outs etc. For further details, see combined briefing.

Scenario can now be found @ The Proving Grounds: http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details_link.html?sku=1091

-------------------------------------------

Scenario warning:

(1) Only venture into this scenario with a powerful computer. If you find your computer too sluggish while playing, I suggest removing all trees (cycle through shift-T) which will ease processor strain, which helps my PC (1,3Ghz AMD, 256MB RAM, 64MB GeForce2 MX400 video card)

(2) PBEM movie file size in this scenario will vary from 600KB - 3.0MB and even higher. Be warned! Make sure your ISP mail account can handle these big files.

(3) Player vs. Player recommended; scenario not designed with AI as an opponent. Stronger player should probably take the Russian side.

----------------------------------------------

BACKGROUND:

On 22 June 1944, three years to the day after Germany's invasion of Russia, the Red Army launched a massive offensive against Heeresgruppe Mitte (commanded by General Busch) on a 300-mile front between Polotsk and Bobruysk. Codenamed "Operation Bagration," named after the czarist general of the 1812 war against Napoleon Bonaparte, it has gone down in history as the Battle of Belorussia. More than Stalingrad, more than Kursk, it was the battle that broke the back of the German Wehrmacht in the East. The German forces of 63 divisions (800,000 troops), 900 tanks, 10,000 guns and 1,300 planes faced vastly superior Soviet forces of 124 divisions (1,700,000 troops) 4,000 tanks, 24,000 artillery pieces and 6,300 aircraft. In 5 weeks, the Russian Summer Offensive of 1944 destroyed German Army Group Centre, the strategic rock and great center of gravity on which German military domination of Russia's heartland had rested for 3 years.

On June 23rd 1944, the 1st Baltic Army under General Bagramyan broke through the lines along the left flank of General Reinhardt's 3rd Panzer Army. The Soviet juggernaut penetrated to a depth of 10 miles along a 35 mile front. Sweeping Red Army tank columns surrounded large sections of German troops in pockets. In all, the Germans lost 350,000 men. It was a cataclysmic defeat on an even bigger scale than Stalingrad.

This battle depicts elements of Major-General Reinhardt's 3rd Panzer Army desperately trying to stabilize the front of Army Group Centre to prevent their encirclement, south east of Riga. The Red Army is probing the frontline in order to continue their offensive. The frontline is shifting continously, almost daily now after July 10th 1944, when the Russian 2nd Baltic Army under General Yeremenko joined the Summer Offensive against General Hansen's 16th German Army, the latter responsible for anchoring the left flank of Reinhardt's 3rd Panzer Army.

--Turns: 60, variable

--Date: July 1944

--Russian Attack, but possibilities exist for Axis to Counter-Attack

--Weather: Mid day, Rain, Damp conditions.

--Total Allied/Axis Points: 18,000+, half of that being armor. It's big.

--Valley scenario with 4 bridges + 2 crossable fords.

-------------------

Russian objective:

Tasked to break through over the Sorot River and take the village Vorontsovo and the town of Novorzhev, thereby cutting the German 3rd Pz. Army off from support from Army Group North.

Axis objective:

Defend two towns and prevent the Russians from crossing the river. If the Soviets cross the bridges with armor en masse, a fighting retreat will hopefully gain enough time for Axis re-enforcements to arrive and to assist in defending the two towns successfully, with a possible counter-attack. Failure of holding onto the 2 towns will result in encirclement for 3rd Panzer Armee and doom the latter as a effective fighting force in the Ostfront.

----------------------------------------------

Though a big scenario, it's not unmanageable, as it is in essence a multi-battle scenario if the Allied player decides on a multi-prong attack.

[ April 28, 2006, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Originally posted by highlife:

Are you going to subtitle this scenario "There's a fungus among us"? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Did I say the scenario has hottish weather and it is raining at the same time (sort of summer rains)? Ideal situation for "noble rot" to set in among us :D

I'll forward the scenario to those that replied here. Thanks again for your willingness to test. Do be warned about the warning I posted at the top of this thread though.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

[ August 25, 2003, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by WineCape:

Hello Gents,

...[snips]...

Valley scenario with 4 bridges and another 2 crossing fjords.

WineCape - you rite purdy. Seriously, that is a very good briefing. However, I think the above should read "...4 bridges and another 2 crossing fords ..."

Fjords and Fords are both water features, but they are rather different in nature ;)

BTW, if you want to send me a copy I'll take a look at it too, though I don't have an opponent (hint hint ;) )

Regards

JonS

[ September 09, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Fredrock + JonS,

Thanks for replying, I've got enough takers at the moment, what with some movie PBEM files hitting 3.0MB+ per turn my mailbox is surely tested, never mind my hardware. If you are still interested in a couple of weeks time, just e-mail me a reminder as I need to finish the 3-4 current tests first before I take on another set.

JonS,

"ford" it should be. Well aware of the difference; should tell that to my spellchecker. Thanks for noticing. I will update my briefing likewise. Always better to have more than one set of eyes proof reading.

Stoffel,

I see you are going for the "multi-prong" attack/recon in force with our current battle, keeping me guessing as where you are about to launch your major crossing. ;)

Cheers!

Charl Theron

yeah,I like to do some recon first smile.gif

btw my wife complained about me doing orders for hours in order to get your file send off.....

now she saw you do something with wine,and she would like to be compensated for all those hours without me.

She likes a dry white wine ;)

This looks like a very selfish and ignorant question.......and so it should be seen :D