Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The Victory calculation - a bit to simple?

The victory is calculated in princip (if we forget the scenarios with exit zones for a moment):

Axis casualities + Allied casualities + Victory location = 100% of points

The victory points for both sides is now their share of this 100% (= enemy casualties + held VL).

This seems to be a bit simple - imagine a scenario without VL where one side looses only one Jeep. The opponent would win total.

Or is it maybe good that simple?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

This seems to be a bit simple - imagine a scenario without VL where one side looses only one Jeep. The opponent would win total.

Or is it maybe good that simple?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

then i would never play the guy who refused to fight and got one of my jeeps that were going everywhere trying to find the sob

First off, Joeski, get your butt back over to the BoB where it belongs. ;) But yes, I think your analysis is correct. It would be a dead draw.

Scipio, I think you are confusing the way the score is computed in that you are converting it to a percentage. In other words, the jeep dies, thats 25 points (example only, I don't know what a jeep costs). Therefore, one side has 100% of the points so wins 100 to nothing. I think Joeski has it right in that 25 is what, 2.5% of a thousand? So I think the score would be 2.5 to 0 (probably rounded to 3 to 0). Or maybe it's even 1.25% of 2000 (total points in the game) so it would be 1 to nothing. Or less than 1% of a 2500 point game (units + 500 points worth of flags) so 0 to 0!?!?! Argh!!! I pulled a muscle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

Axis casualities + Allied casualities + Victory location = 100% of points<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been told (a while back) by the guy who figured this all out that this is the way it works. The number of points worth of units you start out with is not part of the calculation. So, in theory, the example Scipio gives could happen, but in practice it never does, so who cares.

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

Umm, no, it wouldn't be a draw.

I thought it would, originally, so I set up a test to find out.

Axis got 1490 pts; so did the Allies.

No victory flags anywhere.

In the middle of the board (barren except for two impenetrable ridges running N-S the length of the board) I placed about a dozen German HMGs and one unarmed American jeep.

All other combatants were on the far East and West sides of the map and hemmed in by the towering, impassable ridges.

Scenario set to two turns.

Turn One: All the HMG's target the jeep, which dies in under three seconds. The lone driver bails out and, for some reason, is not targeted by the Germans (pity, perhaps).

Turn Two: I force all the German HMG's to fire at that lone crewman, who dies slightly faster than the jeep.

GAME OVER.

Score Germans 100, Allies 0.

Total Axis Victory.

Allies have something like 384 men okay, and have lost one vehcile and one infantry casualty (wounded, not killed, surprisingly enough).

Germans have something like 294 men okay and no losses.

No, nothing else is in the formula.

Vanir, thanks for the hint - I thought scenarios with only one side loosing a jeep in the whole battle are usual :rolleyes:

I just want to hear some opions about this: is a victory calculation, mostly based on the pure balance of casualities a good way? It appears very simple, but to be true, I'm not so sure how else it could be done

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Scipio ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GenSplatton:

Have you ever had a game where the total adds up to 90 or so? I have, lots of times. Wonder what gives there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This happens whenever there are VLs that are still neutral at the end of the game. Think of "neutral" as a third player who gets those points.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I just want to hear some opions about this: is a victory calculation, mostly based on the pure balance of casualities a good way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Casualties are not pure chance any more than capturing a VL is pure chance. Luck always playes a part in every game as it does in every real life battle, but the side that uses the best tactics will usually win. I have no problem with the victory calculations. If you think you have a better system, tell us what it is.

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]