AT guns

Does anyone know something about the optics of AT guns? They surely did have something like that, I guess, but I never read anything about them.

For the german 50mm, 75mm and 88mm, were these the same optics used in the PzKpfw?

Where they in any way different?

It is often said that the german panzers got those excellent Zeiss optics and that they were quite superior to those used by the allies.

I know that this is not modelled in CM but it would give axis AT guns (IF they HAD those optics...) a big advantage when engaging tanks, since AT vs tank engagements are fast and bloody...

Did Flak guns like the 88s had two different optics, one for air and one for ground targets?

Lots of questions, hope somebody can help.

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

[This message has been edited by ParaBellum (edited 03-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ParaBellum (edited 03-19-2001).]

Originally posted by Dogface:

Oh no the Dreaded optics debate!!!!!

hehe, thanks for the good advice...

Think you didn't get my point.

I surely didn't want to start over the old Zeiss optics debate.

I was hoping to get some information on AT guns sights, since I don't have information on this subject.

The search button, as so politely suggested didn't help much, since all the posts I found were about tank optics.

The question was what kind of sights were used by AT guns, were they different than the AFV sights?

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

Depends on your definition of "optics".

- All guns had telescopic sights.

- Most guns had some sort of aid for range estimation in them, usually not better than the range estimate given by just using your eyes and experience.

- German Zeiss optics were state of the art, which meant that they could actually see (and identify) targets two miles away, compared to the blob-in-haze seen through Allied scopes.

- AA units also had real range finders, that gave a good range estimate at long range.

Cheers

Olle