Gebirgsjaeger: no transports?

Hadn't noticed before, but a PBEM opponent pointed out to me that Gebirgsjaeger troops don't have access to any vehicles of any kind. But their Heavy Weap Co comes with two infantry guns attached. Unfortunately, there's no way to move them other than PUUUUSH. Any chance us poor, tired Gerbiltruppen could get some transports? Even a truck would be a big imporovement. Thanks.

- Chris

They didn't have much. They had pack mules. The mountain guns were designed to come apart and be carried by mules if necessary. The idea of mountain infantry is that if it can't go over a mountain range without a road, you leave it behind. That includes POL, because one has to assume it could take weeks to fight one's way across, without road resupply.

In practice, they probably commandeered a few trucks from rear area supply troops whenever they weren't actually deployed in the mountains, to make supply and details easier. But there was nothing whatever motorized about them, in TOE terms.

Mountain units, due to the nature of the terrain they normally operated in need to travel light. Also, access to roads can be quite difficult and a sure way to run into an ambush or hit by presighted artillery and such.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasoncawley@ameritech.net:

But there was nothing whatever motorized about them, in TOE terms.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. Must have been real fun shlepping those guns around on mountainous terrain. tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You can have trucks, buy your Gebirgsjaeger units then change your force over to Herr and you can buy trucks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but mixing forces can easily get you into some gamey behaviour. I prefer not to do it unless agreed to beforehand with my opponent.

- Chris