Any WWII Memorabilia Collectors Out There?

I have a few items, and I'm curious if anyone knows anything about them from a rarity/collectibility/value standpoint. I'm not looking to sell them, just want to know if anyone is knowledgeable in this area.

------------------

The New CessPool

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Croda, you rock! - Meeks

It's not that good.

Got a pair of german binoculars.

Lots of old 10th AD documents and whatnot.

An original copy of Roosevelt's "This nation is on a course with destiny..." letter to the troops. (may not be too valuable, but I think it's pretty cool)

I really don't want to part with it anyway, just wondering at value.

I should have had a Luger, but the old man traded it for a watch, and when the watch stopped working he pitched it. No luger, no watch. Wah!

------------------

The New CessPool

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Croda, you rock! - Meeks

Binos are fairly valuable, depending on condition. Paper documents don't seem to have much value, though if it is an "elite" unit people are more willing to pay money. Good German binoculars could fetch from 50 to 200 dollars depending on condition and accessories (ie bakelite or leather case, intact strap, etc.)

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 02-08-2001).]

Get the markings- any of them- from the binos and lemme know. I used to dabble in such things and have a friend who would qualify as "expert".

Still have a few things about, but I was more of an accumulator than a collector. Attention span issues and all that, plus I sidetracked into things that shoot.

Good to hear about the Binoculars. They were taken off a German in a house in Crailsheim, Germany. They have the leather case, but the strap is gone from the binos and the case. I'll check the markings.

Thanks for the help

------------------

The New CessPool

Croda, you rock! - Meeks

Heres my list of WWII Militaria gathering dust, the vast majority brought back from Europe by my grandad:

1 Waffen SS Helment (Original Markings intact)

1 Waffen SS Camo Smock (Original and in good shape)

1 German Gas Mask w/ Canister

1 Waffen SS Gun Belt along w/ the rare buckle.

1 Panzer Army Enlisted Man's M43 cap (black) w/ insignia still present.

1 SS Camo M43 cap...no insignia

1 Iron Cross (in decent condition)

1 Kar98 Mauser w/ Bayonet

3 US WWII vintage Helments w/ netting on one

2 US Bayonets

2 US WWII pistol Belts w/ Colt M1911 in one smile.gif (Nice!)

1 US M1 carbine (Paratroop Model)...this has to be my favorite piece.

I've got a Walther P-38, issued 1939 I think, haven't looked at it in years. It's got the original holster with brass or bronze swastika on the flap and spare magazine. Also got a German helmet in great condition, doesn't have any markings just a como pattern. Got the stuff from my uncle who brought it back.

Aside from the various surplus stuff you could pick up when I was young, My fav is a 1944 mauser. A tad beat up but with all matching serial #s and still a good rifle to shoot. My second favorite is a M1 garand (rehash from chilean army, but WW2 surplus). An excellent shooter and one could see the advantage in firepower one would have over the mauser (bolt action).

Geez, you guys are making me jealous...all I have is a Luftwaffe pilots lapel pin (Slightly scorched) It sucks to be a poor bastard. smile.gif

------------------

It is nearly always better to be beaten and learn, rather than to win and take no new knowledge from that victory.

In my case collecting led to re-enacting which in turn led to even more collecting.

I do GI (9th Inf), Brit Airborne (21st IPC)and have just gotten started on a Russian Infantry impression. So I have complete kit for the GI and Airborne as well as all the little accessories which complete the impressions. In addition I have a closet full of WWII US and British web gear. This all started with collecting US tunics (Ike Jackets and 4 pockets) at last count I had close to 30. But it's my firearms collection I'm most proud of, at last count it consisted of 25 weapons covering almost every combatant of WWII, among them:

2 WWII M-1 Garands dating from 1941 and 1942

1944 Inland/General Motors M-1 Carbine

1943 dated all matching 1903a3 Springfield

1942 dated No 4 MkI Enfield

2 K98 Mausers

Japanese Arisaka Type 38 rifle & bayonet

Japanese Nambu Pistol

These last two were vet bring backs by a friend of mines father who served in the Pacific.

The showpiece of my collection has to be my 1944 dated Browning Automatic Rifle. I normally carry the BAR when doing GI re-enactments and have developed an even greater respect for the men who lugged this 20 pound piece of steel across Europe.