Possible Minor FOW/Arty/Pillbox Bug

Hi,

I am using the latest version of CM, 1.12,and I noticed a strange thing that may be a bug.

I was playtesting a new scenario of mine, in which an American force attacks along a valley.

Early on in the battle, I had US 81mm FO's target along and behind a ridge that my troops were advancing on, in an attempt to supress anyone who might be waiting there.

As the designer, I knew this was a good idea, but if you were to see the map, you'd probably want to do the same...

The Germans have a pillbox behind the ridge, and a couple of the mortar shells landed on the pillbox. When this happened, I got a message saying something like -- no damange.

Problem is, the US doesn't know the pillbox is there. I was playing with full FOW, and there was no unit with LOS to the pillbox at all. Nobody even close...

The scenario is a lot better if the US finds out about the pillbox the hard way.

So to summarize, I'm getting the detailed hit message when arty hits the pillbox even though I don't know the bunker is there. This is spoiling FOW for me.

I realize that I can turn off the messages, but I don't think that you should have to turn off detailed messages when you play an attack, to avoid losing FOW.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it.

Have a nice day,

Similar problem ist that knocked out units are always fully identified, even if miles away after shell hit. That allows conclusions about the still alive forces in Quickbattles you shouldn't be able to make.

Not too bad, the issue, however.

I have had the same problem before. I was playing the scenario "Wiltz" as Allies and I had my 81 mm. mortars spotter shoot at his stuff from behind his smokescreen. And then, while I can't see anything, I see "Top Penetration Knocked Out" in the middle of emptyness!

Panther G

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

Similar problem ist that knocked out units are always fully identified, even if miles away after shell hit. That allows conclusions about the still alive forces in Quickbattles you shouldn't be able to make.

Not too bad, the issue, however.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, its not a crippling bug.

But I thought I would mention it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Hmmm....I am going to have a look at this....

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, that was quick.

If it turns out to be a real bug, do I win that famous CM Bugstopper hat that everyone is raving about?

The one with the picture of the anteater on it?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

Well I know I've seen arty and planes take out vehicals behind ridges, and the only way I see I hit something is smoke from the burning wreck. But I think BTS will be giving us another lvl of FOW in CM2, that does not reveal as much.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leaving aside that I would be amazed if 81mm shells actually took out a concrete pillbox,

if the shelling destroyed a pillbox then the resultant revelation that a pillbox HAD BEEN in that spot could MAYBE be explained away by the fact that a large secondary explosion took place but was not shown due to abstraction of some sort.

But in this case the US side is just informed that a pillbox (or something) is waiting there, UNDAMAGED as a little FOW-breaking bonus to their mortar shelling.

Seems as if the phrase "reconaissance by fire" was taken literally in this case.

Hahahahaha!!!

But to reiterate, I don't consider this a real gamebusting bug.