movie & partisans

did anyone see this movie called Force 10 from Navarano (or somethin like that)

I just saw it tonite and it was great to see the Partisans in a movie. It brought back memories of the Former Yugoslavia...a great country...

Are any of you at all familiar with Partisans and Chetniks and Ustasha's and stuff like that?

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davorin rules:

did anyone see this movie called Force 10 from Navarano (or somethin like that)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Navarone. Not sure if I ever saw the movie (I kinda think I did, but the memory is fuzzy), but I read the book and it was a lousy piece of hackwork compared to The Guns of Navarone, which is a minor classic that I've read four or five times, beginning at the age of twelve.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I just saw it tonite and it was great to see the Partisans in a movie. It brought back memories of the Former Yugoslavia...a great country...

Are any of you at all familiar with Partisans and Chetniks and Ustasha's and stuff like that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you absolutely must look up a movie called, I think The Battle of the Drava River, which is a real classic. I think they even have a real Tiger in it in addition to various types of T-34s, some dressed up as German tanks. But most of the stuff is authentic, the acting is much above average for this sort of thing and the plot is actually compelling.

Michael

There was one really interesting movie (albiet made during WWII, as it was about Russians, and they were all heroic), which I can't remember its name, was about a group of partisans who were trying to flee the German occupied zone, and were causing a slight bit of chaos on their way out, with most of them dying. I think that one of the members was from a dive-bomber group, who parachuted from his plane behind enemy lines.

I do remember seeing an entire movie about the Serbian partisans during WWII. It was pretty interesting, yet, like with all war movies made around WWII it ignored a lot of the in-fighting between various political groups. In reality, most of the in-fighting was even more bruital than that against the Germans, Italians or Bulgarians! One movie that really got this aspect right was dealing with the Greek partisan schism during and after WWII. The British not only landed in Greece to free it from the Germans, but, to free it from self destruction!

Never really agreed with Partisan fighting. It just caused more destruction than any possible gain, and further blurred the line between civilian and soldier. The scars also last longer. If you must fight for your country, flee and join an official army in exile.

The Russian made movie "Come And See"(dir:Idi I Smotri,1985)deals with the partisan war against the nazis in Byelorussia.Its the best war movie I've ever seen.To quote "The Virgin Film Guide","only the most insensitive could sit through "COME AND SEE"without being emotionally devestated.From its opening scene it descends into a virtual hell-on-earth that becomes increasingly frightening as it advances to the final horror"Phew!,it really is outstanding,see it if you get the chance.

I found "Come and See" on amazon, but they want about $60 for it. Anyone know where I could get this cheaper? Something tells me my local Blockbuster isn't going to have this one in stock. I read that one guy found a copy in his locla library, so I will try to check that option out too.

I saw "Come and see" taped from television.

The scene that stick to my mind is at the end, where the ugly boy, who's the main character, takes a long walk over a field and through a forest, then back to a small road, and so on. The scene is fairly long, but filmed in one single take! How on earth did they move that camera?

First I thought of a truck, but a truck can't move through the dense wooded area.

Then I thought about steadycam, but the camera is at one point elevated above the treeline. You can't do that while walking.

The wooded terrain also rule out camera hanging in wires.

Anyone got a clue?

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Srategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...