MG Nests

This will probably inspire the wrath of all you grogomites, but what the hell......

I posted this accidentily on the wrong message board so here goes again.

Why cant one place MG nests? I understand everything is supposed to be abstracted in CM, but arent there differant advantages/ disadvanteges to a sandbagged nest? When you place units, they become dug in, but are they in nests? Foxholes, or what? A nest might have slightly better LOS, and accuracy due to it being raised, and the MG being 'sighted in', as well as better protection from direct fire/ shrapnel.

I will be the first to admit, Im not sure how often or how many other units were placed in them (i.e. mortars, squads,ect.)but MGs were surely common enough, and it would be nice as light enplacement option.

So heres what I would like to know ( without being torn apart for merely bringing it up smile.gif ) How often did the Axis use them, and in what situations? Did the Allies use them? Why were they not included in CM?

Thanks. :D

I think the way MGs are going to be handled in CM2 might answer alot of your questions. Might want to check the CM2 FAQ (can't find the damn thing right now). Things like fire lanes will help to give MGs more of an advantage.

I'm guessing that MG bunkers (not pillboxes) could represent an MG nest. Like you said, things in CM tend to be abstracted so an MG bunker could be a MG nest (i.e. a log covered foxhole), not necessarily the square box CM depicts. :D

Hope that helps...

Dogface, a question for you: In game terms, what would be the practical difference between your nests, and the current foxhole? In particular, a difference that cant be modelled with picking a better location, or in the terrain editor.\

Regards

JonS

I think most armies taught proper camouflage techniques; sandbagged positions like in SPR are more a Hollywood fantasy than a reality. MG positions were usually concealed with natural foliage and dug in, as Jon S suggests.

Sandbags look cool in movies, but I would suggest the reality is far different. And as Jon S suggest also, their practical effect in games term is no different from a "foxhole" or slit trench.

In real terms, such an entrenchment would be easier to spot.

Yeah, spotting a nest would be a instant magnet for arty, but I thought it would be a nice addition, and a more concrete representaion of a MG properly emplaced, but I geuss a crater will have to do for now :rolleyes: .

For JonS: a nest would afford better protection and perhaps flexibility(differant teams could jump in if neccesary?)Also, it would just give you more options for defence.

Think of it as a MG bunker with better camoflauging(sp?) abilities, giving the crew better chances for suvival.

When we get to North Africa in CM3 interesting possibilities arise. In many places the ground was too hard and rocky to dig in, at least without the help of engineers and/or explosives. Consequently heavy use was made of sandbags and sometimes stacked rocks to produce sangers. Rocks were not popular as they tended to produce splinters when hit by bullets or fragments, but sometimes they were all that came to hand in the time available.

Michael

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]