CM2 improvements for CM1?

Hello there! Will the future CM2 improvements be "backdated" for CM1? I mean specially the game/system functions. Will it be possible for me to play CM1 in the future even if the Mac System is upgraded? It would be great if CM1 and 2 can be configured equally to work on different mac systems, so that I can continue to enjoy all CM-settings at the same time without one of the versions become outdated. Any "official" hints? Thanks in advance ;)

I'm obviously not in a position to give "official" hints as to the backward compatibility of CM2 with CM1.

BTS may be a bit hesitant to make any "official" statements regarding this at the moment since they may not really know until much later in the development process. While CM2 (CMBB/CMB2B) will be based on CMBO's engine, there will be some changes. What effect these changes have on allowing the data in CMBO to be run with them is probably unknown at this point since there's still quite a bit of coding to be done.

As for playing CMBO (CM1) on a "future" Mac system, that can be problematic. CMBO isn't going to really see any futher enhancements to my knowledge. That means that whatever future support there is for the RAVE API is going to determine how compatible CMBO will be with that future Mac. The OpenGL 3D API is Apple's stated future for the MacOS. That means support for RAVE has waned/ceased to exist. CM2 (CMBB/CMB2B) will be written in RAVE for the Mac. Therefore users of OS X are not going to be able to run either program until better support for RAVE is provided by Apple for Classic Mode (which may not be forthcoming).

With the engine rewrite (CMII), I'm under the impression that it will use the OpenGL API on the Mac side. Many changes will be coming with the engine rewrite and backwards compatibility with the previous two CM products probably won't be possible (or not worth the effort), but that's a bit off in the future. Since CM is programmed on the Mac, I'd guess that there will be quite a bit of effort to get the major combat theaters working under OS X/OpenGL.

Elsewhere on this site Madmatt has just told us to look for a MAJOR announcement/update on CHHQ this weekend. Are your dreams about to come true?

If we MUST speculate, I'd guess he wants us each to mail him an extra five bucks. But that's just speculation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeyD:

Elsewhere on this site Madmatt has just told us to look for a MAJOR announcement/update on CHHQ this weekend. Are your dreams about to come true?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The annoucement has nothing to do with CM2, just about CMHQ.

Madmatt