Cease Fire in CM2

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

We have surrender, which is an almost automatic loss, but we do not have a setting in which both players, who feel the game has bogged, can quit and see what type of score they get. This could be a cease fire in place.

Thinking of quitting our PBEM allready? biggrin.gif

Seriously, you can call for a cease fire in the game now, IIRC.

Slappy,

yep you just submit the cease fire order alnog with your move. Then the opposing player either accepts or declines. If he also hits ceasefire the battle ends. If he doesn't... Oh well.

One thing to remember is that the Ceasefire hot key works as a toggle switch. So if you hit it again later, it actualy turns it off.

Best to let your foe know that you have entered a ceasefire request and let him write back stating that he accepted it or not.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

Originally posted by Lorak:

Slappy,

yep you just submit the cease fire order alnog with your move. Then the opposing player either accepts or declines. If he also hits ceasefire the battle ends. If he doesn't... Oh well.

One thing to remember is that the Ceasefire hot key works as a toggle switch. So if you hit it again later, it actualy turns it off.

Best to let your foe know that you have entered a ceasefire request and let him write back stating that he accepted it or not.

Lorak

I must be blind, cannot find it in the rule book. Thanks.

I noted it on there, but like Slap I'm not sure what happens if accepted? Does the AI then figure out the results based on an equation? I mean, surrender just hands out an automatic Total loss. What is the calculation of the cease fire results based on exactly? I've never used it, but wondered about a total loss during surrender where the other force is badly mauled, but less so than mine.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

What is the calculation of the cease fire results based on exactly? I've never used it, but wondered about a total loss during surrender where the other force is badly mauled, but less so than mine.

Cease-fire, both in battles and operations (where it affects only the current battle, not the whole operation), has the same effect as reaching the last turn: current situation will be permanent. So no sense to accept cease-fire if you got an advantage over the other but haven't taken all VL's yet.

Guest Scott Clinton

There was also talk of an option allow a player to "Withdraw". This would be something like in Close Combat where you would decide to "Withdraw" and the game would determine how many of your men make it to safety and how many do not.

With an option like this you would not have to make the choice between fighting to the 'Bitter End' or taking a Total Loss.

But, I have no idea if this option is still 'on the table'.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Originally posted by Sergei:

So no sense to accept cease-fire if you got an advantage over the other but haven't taken all VL's yet.

It can be worth it to accept a cease fire if you appear to be ahead but have suffered severe casualties. Once the casualties get pretty high, it sometimes doesn't matter if you hold the flags or not-- if your losses are heavy, you can still lose.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

I like that option Scott. I think one problem with the surrender is that since it does not calculate any differentials, just gives a total loss, the motivation is to just fight on. Or as I've seen in some games, sleep on, where everything just sits there for ten turns for lack of strength or whatever and do nothing until the final couple of moves.

I think a lot of that happens on account of the 30 move QB's which in most instances is far too many moves for the map or mission. But a withdrawal that would calculate a potential based upon the number of units that could safely disengage and trace an escape route would I think, prevent at least the sit and wait till the last move syndrome and the fight to the last crew tendency. That would be something I hope they are still looking at.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-31-2001).]