3-D Modeling

If you're asking about mods to some of the vehicles in CMBO, it isn't possible. The models are created with a 3D program that BTS programmed for CM. These wireframes are compiled into the CM executable, so they can't be modified by third parties. Only the textures (which are sometimes shared between vehilces and guns) can be modified. I believe Manx's Combatmission site has a listing of most of the bitmaps and what they belong to.

There are some programs out there that allow one to render a vehicle like those seen in CM. However the good ones, i.e. Maya and Bryce off the top of my head, cost far more than any computer any one would have at home. I'm trying to find a few pics of the kind of tanks one can make on Maya, they are truly spectacular. I'll post them when I find them.

Found em. These are from Gary Nemeth, at Kick ass site

Art_2.jpg

Art_5.jpg

KV-1-01.jpg

Pretty good huh?

Check out the demo section for videos too.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dogface21:

Man, when CM 5 comes out, it should look like THAT. Waving grass, dynamic lighting and more detail than you could shake an MG at. Sweeet pics.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, well it seriously would take a full day to render a turn. On an extremely good system too.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

Yeah, well it seriously would take a full day to render a turn. On an extremely good system too.<hr></blockquote>

Don't yo worry about computing power, by the time CM5 comes out, we'll be running Pentium X..

:D:D:D

I'd like to play CM on with graphics like that too.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bad Dog:

Don't yo worry about computing power, by the time CM5 comes out, we'll be running Pentium X..

:D:D:D

I'd like to play CM on with graphics like that too.<hr></blockquote>

Whether the computing power is there or not isn't really the question. The fact is, to make a vehicle or terrain of that quality takes months. Hell, making one AFV of that quality would take BTS the same ammount of time as they spent on all of the AFV's in CM2 (over 300). IE: Even when we reach the stage that Nitrogen cooled Cray's are in every household, making a good looking model will still take time, no matter what.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> However the good ones, i.e. Maya and Bryce off the top of my head, cost far more than any computer any one would have at home. <hr></blockquote>

Heretic! Blasphemer! Do not mention Bryce in the same breath as Maya!

Bryce is only good for making nice Myst-like terrain models and also very good at frustrating those who desire to do anything else with it.

Maya is the bonafide fancy pants-do anything-big money-make the hollywood movie 3D app. The Matrix, Enemy at the gates, Final Fantasy, Hollow Man, The Phantom Menace etc. You get the idea.

3D Studio Max is what BTS uses for to make the models for CM. It is also a very good 3D package, but not as good as animation as Maya, so it's found mainly with game companies. Maximus would love the fact that it is not available on the Mac.

Lightwave is also another excellent 3D app that will also make your wallet a lot lighter. It is very popular with TV people. It started a long time ago (Computer years) on the Amiga (woot!). Babylon 5 was made with it.

If you want to try your hand in the frustrating, but rewarding world of 3D, you can get a very good 3D application for FREE

here!

Gyrene

I recommend you look at Rhino3D (www.rhino3d.com) for a very serious modelling package. It is $800 ($200 academic), and offers a free save-limited evaluation.

It can write 3DS format (a de-facto gaming standard), but has only a limited ability to allow you to modify someone else's 3DS files.

My site at http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org uses it predominantly... sample images below (pardon the lack of textures.. 3D authoring is all I really care about)

HMS_Acheron_03092001b_640.jpg

British_21in_AW_TorpedoTube_MkII_tripper_07222001.jpg

tone

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: tone ]</p>