What the Hell is the H39 Hotchkiss?

There are photographs of the Panzerkampfwagen 38H 735(f) [which are an H-35 and H-39] mounting the 28/32 cm Wurfrahmen [sWR40]. They can be found in the Encyplodedia of German Tanks of World War II by Jentz, Chanberlain, and Doyle pp 216 - 217. Nice shot of Rommel and entourage inspecting an H-39 fitted with sWR40. This weapon was mounted to the side upper hull on pivoting plates which allowed elevation settings from 5 to 45 degrees. They were used primarily in battlefield close support roles due to the range and payload (the single 32 cm rocket contained jellied gasoline). Also featured is a UE Chenille carrying crated rockets. There were 29 PzKpfw 38-H still listed in service on December 30th, 1944.

Don't dismiss French tanks lightly, The Char 1B was in it's day a monster (1940) with armor that laughed at the tiny German guns, The French were not prepared to employ them effectively (conservative thinking in upper levels) and so a tank that could have stopped the Germans cold was sent out in penny packets to be destroyed.

As for the usefulness of the H-39, I'm reminded of a line from an old WWII movie,

GI- "Boy you armor guys live the life"

Tanker- "You wouldn't say that if we meet Tigers, this thing's only got 3 inches of armor"

GI- "Oh yeah? How thick do you think this GI shirt is?"

The threat level of the armored vehicle is directly proportional to how much armor you're behind smile.gif

There have been questions about when the H-39 was available. Well, the Germans had them in hand from the day that France fell, and I believe I've seen film of them involved in the Paris uprising, so that takes it up to July/August '44.

After August everything fell apart for the Germans and the Allied believed that by winter German armor in France (including the H-39) was finished... then came the Bulge, but I've seen no reports of French armor involved in that fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeyD:

There have been questions about when the H-39 was available. Well, the Germans had them in hand from the day that France fell, and I believe I've seen film of them involved in the Paris uprising, so that takes it up to July/August '44.

After August everything fell apart for the Germans and the Allied believed that by winter German armor in France (including the H-39) was finished... then came the Bulge, but I've seen no reports of French armor involved in that fight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please re-read my post ;)

You can find some info on early war tanks on this page, including the Hotchkiss.

http://www.techpubs.wwiionline.com/

Here is me on top of one:

Image10.jpg

13.jpg

This one was captured by the Germans a sent to Norway. There it stayed until the end of the war, and now it rests in a Norwegian Army base where these pics were taken.

Its very small, that poor commander had his hands full for sure. Gunner, loader and commander at the same time! No wonder its got such a low ROF.

Regards,

Heinz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pzvg:

As for the usefulness of the H-39, I'm reminded of a line from an old WWII movie,

GI- "Boy you armor guys live the life"

Tanker- "You wouldn't say that if we meet Tigers, this thing's only got 3 inches of armor"

GI- "Oh yeah? How thick do you think this GI shirt is?"

The threat level of the armored vehicle is directly proportional to how much armor you're behind smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

didnt the tanker get blown up and audie murphy had to run in and save the day?

another line i liked:

(radio) "how close are the germans?"

(murphy) "hold on a minute, i'll let u talk to them!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I recall reading in Hans Von Lucke's book, they had some modified as assault guns. I no longer have a copy sorry. But, it seems to me they were about all the armor his battalion had for support for quite a bit of time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually those were Marder I's of Alfred Beckers assault gun battalion. Those were built on Lorraine Schlepper chassis. They actually caused a good deal of damage in hedgerow ambushes.