Pershing

Excellent mod there, looking forward to getting it from combatmissions.co.uk

Anyone else agree with me that tracks placed on turrets look out of place?

I can understand that they would be included if the tracks are part of the 3D model, but it doesn't quite work in CM - they look flat.

I sent it off to Kump's old/new site last night. I agree with the tracks being flat but there is only so much that can be done with a 2-d bmp. There are tricks to make it "look" 3-d from certain angles, though you'll always be able to tell if you're looking at it at the wrong angle; or they can be removed and just have a plain turrent side. Same thing with spare track links, buckets, ammo boxes, saddlebags, etc. Then if you remove the track links you'll get 10 people saying how sorry it looks w/o the track links.

Anywho, the track links on my pershing mod were matted in from a photo and blended in. They could probably use a bit more work, so could other areas of the mod, so it's an on-going process.

*Tiger*

Originally posted by M. Bates:

I can understand that they would be included if the tracks are part of the 3D model, but it doesn't quite work in CM - they look flat.

If you do that, you'd add an extra few polygons for very little use or return.

Besides, if you paint them in right by using shadows. You can give them a 3D look.

Besides, what do you care, low-res boy?? biggrin.gif LOL!

Originally posted by Maximus:

If you do that, you'd add an extra few polygons for very little use or return.

Besides, if you paint them in right by using shadows. You can give them a 3D look.

Besides, what do you care, low-res boy?? biggrin.gif LOL!

Bloody Hooligan!!!

Was reading about the use of spare tracks as armor somewhere... anyhow it was supposed to help a little against HEAT type rounds by setting it off before impact on the armor itself. But against AP rounds it sometimes was self-defeating since the angles/shape/etc. of the tracks in a sense acted as a "trap" instead of letting the AP round be defelected. But as far as CM models go I love my Panzers with the tracks. Just waiting to see some sandbagged shermans!

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Tiger, i think its good to include both versions with track and without. (If doesnt add any more work)

I removed third track from turret of your Panther G(muddy), because it looked like it was cut in half. I added some shadow behind second track too to make it more 3D(It needed that because otherwise it looks little bended) Is this ok? I dont give those forward to anyone, just edit for my own pleasure.

PzVG late was simply awesome and I was very happy about version without turret tracks included.

Thanks for all great mods, Tiger! biggrin.gif

Sure illo I don't mind. I'll probably go back and add some drop shadow to those panthers' turrent-tracks as I like the 3-d effect it gives. I did this earlier on my tiger mods but had stopped using it. Why? I dunno, senility? biggrin.gif

The track-less pershing turrent is done as is the star-less front glacis. I haven't gotten anything from CM Outpost about the pershing zip I sent them yesterday so I'll go ahead and send them these updated bmps, and send the complete zip to Manx's site as well.

*Tiger*

Originally posted by Tiger:

....The track-less pershing turrent is done as is the star-less front glacis. I haven't gotten anything from CM Outpost about the pershing zip I sent them yesterday so I'll go ahead and send them these updated bmps, and send the complete zip to Manx's site as well.

Thanks for the files Tiger.

I'm doing a comparison of the Pershings right now, it'll be up tomorrow.

I like the options, the tank looks cleaner and meaner without the track on the turret, although the shading on the track looks good.

Hires too smile.gif

I'll stick a link to the zip file in the Early Bird Section for now.

Orf t'do that now

Edit: Done

Early Bird

DG

------------------

CM Outpost

[This message has been edited by DraGoon (edited 01-29-2001).]

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

Amazing! The best Pershing EVER SEEN.

------------------

Salute!