Scipio's sound effects.

In my experience with artillery, you FEEL it more than you hear it (although it is load too) - but when that pressure wave slams through your chest you are awe inspired.

One time when on TDY to England AFB, in Louisiana, we were using hand held LTD's (laser target designators) to call in A-10's that were equipped with Pave Penny pods (allowing the pilots to see the 'splash' of the laser agins the target. They were dropping 'dumb' bombs, 2000 lb unguided bombs. One landed so close to use that we were stunned...felt like we had fallen and had the breath knocked out of us.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: jwxspoon ]</p>

phil,

Not an expert on artillery sounds but I might have a solution for you. I did quite a bit of work with some existing sound files to get explosions and "incoming" sounds which I found to be more realistic. I use the same sound for the entire class of explosion (small, medium, large and huge) so you don't have one 81mm mortar shell going "poof" and the other sounding like a 155mm shell hitting. If you would like, I can email you a copy.

Let me know.