Artillery spotter seconds not corresponding to game clock seconds

Ok I did a search but could not find anything concrete on this. Does the replay clock run at a different speed than artillery spotters (or all the other units for that matter).

It seems that 1 second of replay clock time = 1.5 seconds of time for units. In other words game time and replay clock time are not the same (in synch).

For example, your spotter may show 30 seconds before the barrage starts, but in actuality it's going to take 45 seconds of watching the replay (and likely go into next turn before it starts).

Just curious.

john

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 01-06-2001).]

Guest morjit

The spotters take twice as long as the clock says if they have no LOS to the target. If they have LOS the time will be correct. SO if there out of LOS every 2 secs will be 1 sec for the time left.

Hope that helps.

------------------

Jason

Combat Mission Canadian HQ

cmhq.tzo.com/canada

I've found that with a veteran spotter with LOS to the target, the spotter's clock runs almost exactly in sync with the game clock. If the spotter doesn't have LOS, I usually double the spotter's estimate to figure out how long it'll take. With higher quality spotters (ie crack and elite) I've had considerably faster service.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Tiger said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It seems that 1 second of replay clock time = 1.5 seconds of time for units. In other words game time and replay clock time are not the same (in synch).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tiger, you have merely observed arty following Einstein's Theory of Relativity, specifically the time dilation part of it.

As you know, arty fires lots of very massive bullets and they move quite quickly. So you have high mass at high speed, which causes time to move slower for the shells than for the outside world.

In order to make accurate fire corrections, the FOs need to know this so have special stopwatches calibrated in shell time, so they can compare shell time to outside time. This lets them know when the shells will arrive, letting them give moving targets the proper lead. It's just a reflection of CM's attention to detail that it shows these special shell time stopwatches working when you click on an FO unit biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Speaking of LOS to target.

(1) If an on board mortar unit has no los to target why does the game draw a red "area fire" line to target and then not let the unit fire. So the result is that u think u have a unit targeted and your mortar team is sitting there smoking cigs and drinking coffee!

(2)Whats the trick to determining LOS if u have a Platton HQ observing for your mortar team? Do u have to check to see what the PH sees b4 issuing the target command to the mortar team? or does the mortar team automatically see what the PH sees?

This can be very time consuming, especially in TCPIP play with the timer running. I realize that the mortar team must be in contact with the PH.

When you draw the target line with the mortar it will either show "view blocked" or "area fire." If you get area fire then the HQ has LOS to that spot. Sometimes an enemy unit is just outside the LOS of the HQ but you want to area target it anyway because there is a good chance it will either get hit or supressed. You can target with the mortar using the method I mentioned rather than checking precise LOS with the HQ and then targeting with the mortar. You don't have to play that guessing game.

[This message has been edited by Pvt. Ryan (edited 01-07-2001).]