Who is 1116.bmp ?

Hi all,

For some reason I can't figure out the unit associated with file 1116 in the bmp folder. (It's an unshaven, rather cynical looking German in a cap, not a helmet.) Can someone identify it for me? I've set up QBs with all the German elements I can think of, but none of them match.

Also, can anyone tell me the level of the rank marking on this face's collar? I'd like to know if he is an officer or enlisted. Finally, does the type of cap he's wearing signify anything?

I ask all this because (if the image is for some reason not already used) I might set it as the standard Heer infantry squad. Something about the fellow's expression just says it all for me.

Thanks.

One thing I noticed (hunting around some more) is that this bmp represents "Sicherung (security)" squads, but only late in the war. When I do a September 44 set-up, the security squad is the regular Heer soldier with helmet. In March 45, however, the security squad is the rough fellow in 1116.bmp.

I wonder why?

This is a colorization of a photo from Squadron Signal's "German Infantry in Action."

The collar patches signify nothing, just that the Germans liked wasting their money and resources on meaningless insignia. They are kragenpatten, that before the war designted the wearer's branch of service. By 1940, they were produced in all one colour, and designated nothing. They were an homage to the lace worn on Prussian uniforms, and may also allude to the custom in the 1700s of officers wearing gorgets (staff officers in the British Army wear gorget tabs for the same reason).

The hat is the Einheitsfeldmütze - a general service cap copied from the Bergmütze, or mountain troops cap - a traditonal cap worn by the Austrian Army, and adopted by German mountain troops, and in 1943, the Army as a whole. The design was also used for the tropical uniform.

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 03-04-2001).]