Indirect Fire with Mortars Question

In a recent PBEM game using v1.12, I am attempting to fire my US 60 mm mortars indirectly. They are in direct C&C with a platoon HQ who has a clear LOS to their target point. My mortars are located in the open and are in good condition with ammo.

I am able to successfully place an indirect fire line from my mortars to the target point (i.e., yellow line), which is also in firing range. However, my mortars refuse to fire, but, at the end of the turn, it still shows them targeting my original point.

The weather is snowy conditions.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

BTS,

I'd be happy to send you the file if you request it.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest Rollstoy

Originally posted by The_Capt:

Double click your Platoon HQ so that the mortars are "boxed" too and give the target command. Also make sure your mortars aren't hidden.

In a typical case of application I do not want the Platoon HQ to give away its position by firing on the target! So the proper procedure would be:

1. Double click Platoon HQ.

2. Issue target order.

3. Select only Platoon HQ.

4. Cancel Target Order.

5. Hide Platoon HQ, if necessary.

Is this correct?!

Regards, Thomm

I noticed this too. I had mortars fire on an unseen UNIT through the platoon leader's LOS but they did not fire. The target was VERY close to being in LOS of the mortars themselves. I suspect this was the reason. The next turn I area fired and no problem. Selecting the whole group and deselecting the HQ is a great idea.

Treeburst155

Guest Rollstoy

An additional remark:

Once I had a pack of 60mm mortar teams grouped behind a building with the Platoon HQ hiding on the top floor of this building. I ordered the mortar teams to fire on an enemy unit one by one, not using the method described above. For some of the teams I got orange indirect fire lines and for some red direct fire lines, although they were out of LOS. The orange ones executed the order, the red lines simply vanished. I could not figure out why, though, since the platoon HQ was the same and had a clear LOS to the target.

Nevertheless, I like the feature of indirect spotting a lot! Maybe it could be introduced for mortar halftracks, too?!

Regards, Thomm

Ok, I tried the different suggestions above, but no luck. However, when I move the targeting line to outside the house (which is what I originally had targeted), I have no problem getting the mortars to fire.

I suppose my question now is why can't I get my mortars to fire indirectly at/inside a house which is in direct LOS of their commanding HQ. (The HQ can see part ways inot the house.)

Originally posted by mike_in_texas:

In a recent PBEM game using v1.12...I am able to successfully place an indirect fire line from my mortars to the target point (i.e., yellow line), which is also in firing range. However, my mortars refuse to fire, but, at the end of the turn, it still shows them targeting my original point.

I had a similar thing happen in a recent PBEM using v1.0, however the building is the common factor. I was targetting a building with a 75mm AT gun, with clear LOS, but while the Target command worked, the gun didn't fire a single round for one, possible two full turns. I wonder whether targetting the building is the issue here..?

------------------

"He belongs to a race which has coloured the map red, and all he wants are the green fields of England..."

- Joe Illingworth, Yorkshire Post War Correspondent

Pacestick,

I would tend to agree with you; however, I'm pretty sure this isn't the case since there are parts of the house which are out of LOS of the HQ and these parts of the house I cannnot lay down an indirect fire line (i.e., yellow/orange line) to. That is, the targeting line disappears once I click the mouse button.

I think Sirocco is onto something here since the house seems to be the determining factor as to whether or not my mortars fire.

Any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks,

Mike

I'd venture an opinion that a line into the middle of the house in out of LOS. Compare this to targeting a squad in a house by a tank. Unless the squad is close enough to the walls, the tank cannot fire on them. In that case you have to target the building itself. To do that you need direct LOS to an exterior wall surface. So too with the mortar. To target the building the HQ LOS would have to be to an exterior wall.

BTS I want to target roofs, this ruins the game DO SOMEFINK smile.gif

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

Guest Mike the bike

Is this a change in one of the recent updates??

IIRC you used to just target eth individual mortar, and the targeting line would "stick" if the HQ could see the target and swouldn't if it couldn't?