Are the Russians finally getting the credit due them for winning WW2 ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have had the benefit of seeing school textbooks from both Russia and the

USA. While Russian textbooks do give credit to the US where it is due, including the lend lease, D-Day, and the pre D-Day campaigns. US textbooks devote about a page and a half talking about Russia, and mainly how Hitler

invaded it, not the Soviet retaliation in the later years.

Of course, Soviet education was always superior to the majority of the Western standards at the public school level, so this was not surprising to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hmmm, yes, this should do nicely, let's set up the chairs here. Got the beer, good. No, shouldn't need the fieldglasses I don't imagine, this should provide a lovely view.

What's that? No, no comment here, just waiting for the flamethrowers to show up.

You DID bring the marshmallows this time didn't you? And the sticks? Good on you.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Hmmm, yes, this should do nicely, let's set up the chairs here. Got the beer, good. No, shouldn't need the fieldglasses I don't imagine, this should provide a lovely view.

What's that? No, no comment here, just waiting for the flamethrowers to show up.

You DID bring the marshmallows this time didn't you? And the sticks? Good on you.

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh.

*dons goggles*

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I have had the benefit of seeing school textbooks from both Russia and the USA. While Russian textbooks do give credit to the US where it is due, including the lend lease, D-Day, and the pre D-Day campaigns. US textbooks devote about a page and a half talking about Russia, and mainly how Hitler invaded it, not the Soviet retaliation in the later years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - and the US high school textbooks typically only have about four pages on the entire second world war in general.

Just thought I would mention it as a former history major and geography teacher.

Pass me some marshmallows, Joe - I brought some wire hangers.

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Come on Michael, you of all people should know the Finns hibernate during the summer!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then the ones who have posted on the internet this summer must have been talking in their sleep! And talking, and talking, and talking...

;)

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Aren't the Finns settling in for their winter-long hibernation just about now?

The Aussies of course never sleep.

;)

Michael

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, we just happen to be awake when you lot are snoozing your heads off. Helps to have fantastic weather, all year 'round, great beaches and bonza shielas.

Eat your hearts out. tongue.gif

You think American highschools are bad?

Our Aussie textbooks tell us that the Western front was fought between the Huns and the Yanks (literaly), no mention of the British.

One of the morons in my class was telling me how the Americans invaded NORWAY on June 6th 1944.

Someone asked me for a test who attacked Pearl Harbour in 41...AFTER we had seen the movie. I told them the Alaskans, they thanked me and promptly wrote in down.

Our teacher shows us such informative movies as U-571 and Pearl Harbour, which we base our tests on. When I suggested Das Boot as a good movie, someone had seen it and commented on how it had subtitles. I quickly apologised for asuming the class could read.