.50 cals in the Indirect Role

Searched and couldn't find a discussion on the subject.

I know it is current infantry doctrine that the .50 cal and other MG can be sited to fire indirectly in to beaten zone.

Any thoughts on the employment in CM (ie HMG TRPs) The ranges would just fit on a large map, I believe.

Any thoughts?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Capt:

Searched and couldn't find a discussion on the subject.

I know it is current infantry doctrine that the .50 cal and other MG can be sited to fire indirectly in to beaten zone.

Any thoughts on the employment in CM (ie HMG TRPs) The ranges would just fit on a large map, I believe.

Any thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have read a couple of accounts that Commonwealth MG Batallions (part of every Commonwealth Infantry Division) were used in that role. They apparently had specially designated ammo and could range out to 4,500 yards (according to one account)

However, from the way I understood this, it was done as part of a 'Peppershot' (preliminary bombardment with all guns available before you attack), so it would not be applicable to the period of battle CM simulates, since that is placed after all this preliminary stuff is over.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

The M2HB could be used indirect, but it was rarely done and it was a lot of trouble. Also you needed ammo with no tracers since past around a thousand yards their ballistics were different.

Like many things, I thing giving the M2HB an indirect capability would be a pain, since it was never or almost never used, and it would just raise the M2HBs point value.

I don't know how rare or often it was used, but for example when the 28th ID attacked towards Hurtgen, the .50 cal indirect fire was done ahead of the regimental objectives. In other words, the .50 cal indirect fire landed in an area that didn't have a CM-style fight. Given the likely accuracy of that type of fire, that was probably a smart thing to do.

I know that in current doctrine (NATO) that HMG fire can be sited, particularly in the defence.

The posn and angle of the gun are marked and fire is coord by higher.

Maybe an infantry wizard can enlighten us as to whether or not this is/was actually employed and whether it would work in CM.

I would like to see it as it would greatly increase the effectivness of the HMGs by allowing fire outside of the LOS. The question of effective range still remains though...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aacooper:

I don't know how rare or often it was used, but for example when the 28th ID attacked towards Hurtgen, the .50 cal indirect fire was done ahead of the regimental objectives. In other words, the .50 cal indirect fire landed in an area that didn't have a CM-style fight. Given the likely accuracy of that type of fire, that was probably a smart thing to do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many weapons can be used in the indirect role. Heck, even the M60 has space in the manual dedicated to indirect 7.62mm fire.

Is it something likely to be used in CM's scale, for the .50 cal? Probably not.

[This message has been edited by CavScout (edited 01-15-2001).]