Remember when.....

Before CM I was a lowly console gamer(gasp). The best I had back in those dark ages was panzergeneral for the playstation. I was stuck playing madden 199whatever and trying to get my friends hooked into a game of axis and allies.(I actually miss madden, no pc equal(double gasp)) Then I read about CM in PC gamer. I had been secretly torturing myself by buying PC gamer and finding all the games I would like to play. I downloaded the demo on my friend's computer and starting playing. Not only did the demo convince me to shell out $45 dollors for the game but also to engage in a lengty disscusion with the wife on the benefits of a $1300 home computer. Since then, (i won the debate) I have enjoyed CM to the fullest and is one of the few games I own. I wonder when CMBB comes out if I can convince the wife that we need a sweet surround sound system to enjoy the rumblings of charging t-34s across the russian steppe.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redeker:

Some of us still play ASL and other games (particularly Advanced Civ and Junta) because you still can't have the kind of noise-making, beer-drinking, bad-joke-making, back-slapping camaraderie over the Internet that you can have in person.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I am not knocking ASL at all. Lovely game, unfortunately the days are long past when I can spend the weekend playing in the basement - not enough time and no one with whom to fight. Yeah, for all the technical modeling advances that a computer game gives you it doesn't have the social or the tactile aspect.

My comment was about the significant group of folks who wanted ASL on a computer to alleviate the problem with finding an opponent and nothing more.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I will admit that my ASL playing has decreased since acquiring CM, but I'm anal retentive enough to want to know all the rules and probabilities. I would frankly wish for more information in the manual on what is happening behind the scenes (first round hit probability for X tank against Y target in Z environment, exactly what a +1 bonus does, etc.) because of my extreme left-brain nature. Call me gamey, but I prefer informed decision making.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know that BTS was deliberately trying to get away from the SL clinic style of play, right?

Hey, I've been playing wargames since 1958-60 with Avalon Hill's Tactics II & their original first retangular playing pieces Gettysburg. Yep, I am that old. :(

During late 2000, I had seen glowing CGW, CGM, & PCGamer reviews of CM. However, these reviews set forth that CM was turn based. I was turned off to CM because I had played turn based wargames for some 40 years. I wanted simultaneous tactical combat like in Close Combat.

A good friend (with whom I have played wargames for nearly 30 years) told me that I 'had' to get CM. I somewhat reluctantly acceeded to his reccommendation. I got CM and was hooked. smile.gif

CM is not perfect, but it is, by a substantial margin, the best thing on the computer. I really love CM. :D:D

Cheers, Richard smile.gif

Yes that’s true there were no movies.

Funny how one’s (wasted) mind remembers these things. It’s funny but I remember coming out of the north a German armored car (Puma) swinging down and racing along a sunken road trying to get behind a Sherman just like it was a movie.

Was it Fionn’s southern force who lost a halftrack to an ambush on a wooded road and since Big Time hadn’t coded the capability of pushing vehicles all his halftracks became useless.

I know, there were so many screen you could put them all together and ta-da, movie.

Yeah that’s the ticket.

What was the coolest part for you Elvis?

And does anybody else remember the Alpha?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RMC:

Oh, I am not knocking ASL at all. Lovely game, unfortunately the days are long past when I can spend the weekend playing in the basement - not enough time and no one with whom to fight...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you familiar with VASL? Gives you the ability to play ASL online or PBEM. Checkout

vasl.org.

I am so glad I didn't know anything about this game before it had been released. The anticipation would have driven me crazy.

I learned about CMBO through PCGamer's review. Before I'd made it a third of the way through the article, I knew this was a game I had to have. Once I reached the end of the article, I called a friend to tell him about it. After playing the demo during the next 24 hours, we both ordered copies and have been having playing/living the CMBO obsession ever since.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Eyes:

Are you familiar with VASL? Gives you the ability to play ASL online or PBEM. Checkout

vasl.org.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it may have been a link from there that led me to BTS and computer squad leader in the first place. I remember seeing the VASL stuff, but I've long since dropped into playing computer games exclusively though it doesn't stop me from looking at baord games in stores when I see them. I've got so many games that have never been played it's pathetic.