Assault boats in CM2: questions and wishes

I believe that the current assault boats model a (very slow) row boat. Are there plans to include a real motor assault boat? I really hope so, on the eastern front and especially on Finnish front assault boats played often a crucial role in river and lake crossings. What was the speed of a (for example finnish) assault boat in WW2? I've searched the net but couldn't find this piece of information.

One possibility would be to create one generic assault boat, which can move either slowly (rowing, silent) or fast (motor, noisy). Also the possibility to place a machinegun in the prow to fire during crossing would be great, but I'm afraid this would require too big changes in the code. To allow trucks to carry boats would also be nice.

Getting rid of the "inherent driver" of assault boats would also be a plus. A portage system (again, like SL and ASL) where boats, abandoned weapons, etc, could be "picked up" by squads, crews or teams would be a good idea and would allow the movement of boats without the silly morale-sucking driver who suddenly has nothing to do once the boat lands. At the very least, I would make this driver optional, with an option to abandon the boat and run for his life.

I don't know, but just to strike up some atmosphere, I'll citate The Unknown Soldier:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally written by Väinö Linna:

Squads were assigned assault boats, one for each, and appropriate routes were chosen for pulling them to shore. Machine guns were put to bow, where they were supposed to be fired from, although Rokka said it was vain, because the narrowness of the river didn't allow more than a couple of bursts.

At four o'clock they were ordered to take standby positions. They tried blocking the mental images of machinegun spray which would pierce the sides of the boats and kill them. They tried in their minds to estimate, could they swim with heavy rifle outfit, and they ended up with a negative answer.

On the opposite bank a heavy concentration was churning the dirt. After five minutes, they started dragging boats to the beach. Smoke rounds had covered the opposite bank into thick smoke, and some one said in relief:

-It can't shoot through that otherwise than towards sound!

-Move it!

Motormen of the assault boats pulled the engines on, and men started pushing them into the river.

-Into boats!

Propellers were pressed into water, and boats dashed toward the opposite shore. The next wave was already coming close to river. Through smoke screen came some weak random fire, which didn't hit anyone.

Rokka lied in the bow of the second squad's boat and shot into smoke. He couldn't shoot for a long duration, when the bow already hit the beach and men jumped ashore. To that spot fell the first one.<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sergei:

just to strike up some atmosphere, I'll citate The Unknown Soldier:

<hr></blockquote>

This was the scene I had in mind, can't wait to create this in CMBB. These current paddling things just don't give the right feeling. BTW, these monster weigh a ton! And yet they can be carried by a single zook team!

If CMBB has motor boats, I think they should be able to move with their inherent crew without the help of galeon slaves, so that they can move back and forth and bring more reserves.