Anybody playing SSG's "Complete Carriers at War"?

I saw this game mentioned in the "Are we a dying breed?" thread and I looked it up on SSG's site and it says PC DOS combatible with Windows 95/98.

I had the original Carriers at War game back in like '93 or '94 and I thought it was a great game. Boy I'd like to its graphics updated to 16-bit High Color. Same interface and all and with maybe better animations/explosions. Maybe that would be something that Matrix Games could tackle.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

Yeah! Got that one for about 5 years. It's still one of the most enjoyable wargames I've ever played, but boy does it look crappy! smile.gif

------------------

Officer: Old man, vhere ist your Spinnink Vheel?!

Old man: My... my what?

Officer: Your Vheel! your Vheel! Vhere ist your Vheel?!

Old man: Oh, I am sorry, I do not eat meat, I am a vegetarian.

I had Carrier's At War II (the expansion). Unfortuantely my disks died on me a little while back frown.gif . Too bad that it is a few years after the warranty died!

I worked with the Matrix Games on their recent Pacific War upgrade, and can say that they are too busy working on their 'Uncommon Valour' (dealing with the South Pacific like the game 'Carrier Strike') and 'War in the Pacific' (which is the entire war, like Pacific War, with a lot more detail). I really enjoyed Carriers at War, but, it looks like these two new games will cover what Carriers at War had (good graphics for its day as a wargame and fun gameplay) and beyond. I am pretty sure that there will be different settings for complexity in 'Uncommon Valour' and 'War in the Pacific', so you could get some of that 'Carriers at War' feel.

Originally posted by Major Tom:

I had Carrier's At War II (the expansion). Unfortuantely my disks died on me a little while back frown.gif . Too bad that it is a few years after the warranty died!

I really enjoyed Carriers at War, but, it looks like these two new games will cover what Carriers at War had (good graphics for its day as a wargame and fun gameplay) and beyond. I am pretty sure that there will be different settings for complexity in 'Uncommon Valour' and 'War in the Pacific', so you could get some of that 'Carriers at War' feel.

I also had the Ship Construction Kit as well... you could construct you own ship classes and graphics. (I remember they had an example of the cruiser San Francisco as a hybrid carrier)

In any event, nostalgia totally won out when I followed Maximus' link... I ordered it. (What the hell, it's a game that I KNOW isn't buggy or crash-ridden... which is more than you can say 'bout a lot of stuff coming out now.)

Cheers! smile.gif

------------------

"Poor, poor, pitiful me... these young

girls won't let me be... woe is me!" Warren Zevon

Here Here! biggrin.gif

For Mac, it is included in package "Total War" and for PC, I have the "Complete Carries at War". Both manuals are photocopied and binded. The graphics are "just the same" nonetheless, they are playable in Win95/98, not to mention they are great! I have played the original "Carriers At War I" and well, it is the most enjoyable naval wargame after "Harpoon".

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I always enjoyed the Pearl Harbour variants... I never inflicted the same damage as historically happened though. Once when launching a 3rd strike US carriers caught me with empty decks... hari kari time for Nagumo!!

I'm almost as impatient as when I ordered CM!!

wink.gif