The Little heavey Machine that could..... never hit its target

It seems that a lot of people are thinking that open ground is completely flat with no place to take cover. They are disapointed when their MG only causes a couple of casualties to enemy soldiers in the open.

What you need to realized is that open ground in CM is NOT completely flat and it may contain objects that are abstracted in the firing calculations. For instance, dips in the ground offer great defilade from a machinegun, which usually is sitting on the ground. Possible abstracted objects include things like tractors, haystacks, lone shrubs, crates, equipment. These things arn't show in CM but they are taken into account when doing the calcualtions. And no, I don't mean that there is an invisible tractor on the ground that the enemy is hiding behind. It's just loosely abstracted in the calculations. The idea is that soldiers crossing open ground will use whatever little piece of cover that is available. They will make themselves hard to hit, if possible.

The question I would like to know is: Do units in second story buildings get a bonus when firing upon men in the open ground below? In these cases, the dips and folds in the ground would not be very helpful to the soldiers crossing it.

It seems that a lot of people are thinking that open ground is completely flat with no place to take cover. They are disapointed when their MG only causes a couple of casualties to enemy soldiers in the open.

What you need to realized is that open ground in CM is NOT completely flat and it may contain objects that are abstracted in the firing calculations. For instance, dips in the ground offer great defilade from a machinegun, which usually is sitting on the ground. Possible abstracted objects include things like tractors, haystacks, lone shrubs, crates, equipment. These things arn't show in CM but they are taken into account when doing the calcualtions. And no, I don't mean that there is an invisible tractor on the ground that the enemy is hiding behind. It's just loosely abstracted in the calculations. The idea is that soldiers crossing open ground will use whatever little piece of cover that is available. They will make themselves hard to hit, if possible.

The question I would like to know is: Do units in second story buildings get a bonus when firing upon men in the open ground below? In these cases, the dips and folds in the ground would not be very helpful to the soldiers crossing it.