Let there be light

There was something about the night battles that kept on nagging at me.

I finally figured it out - I thought it was quite common to use starshells during night fights?

It's quite too dark to see anything at night during fall/spring in a forest in Finland's latitude. Ok, unless it's a full moon on a clear sky..

Realistic spotting range with overcast skies would be more like 15 meters than 50. I reckon you'd be more likely to HEAR the guys before seeing them.

Conversely, if you just stand still, you're practically invisible.

So, shouldn't hq units have some starshells? I'm not familiar how they were assigned except that they were used at least defensively.

Since CM2 will probably feature a few night battles..

Yeah, the spotting range during night battles is bit high.

In my army days it was fun to watch my fellow comrades stumble against trees or into ditches.

Helps a lot when YOUR rifle is equipped with night-vision gear! tongue.gif

I think the condition in CM is supposed to be full moon, clear sky or something like that.

There are a LOT of issues with the CM night rules. Basically CM night is pretty much the same as fighting in dense fog, except with the friendly fire possibilities.

Of course, RL is nothing like that.

As far as I am concerned, fighting at night in CM1 is nearly unplayable. It doesn't feel ANYTHING like how a night firefight should feel.

I am very much looking forawrd to CMII, and this is one of the major reasons why. I doubt that they will be able to do too much for CM2, since the solution will require a lot of work. But hopefully, CMII will have an integrated lighting model that will allow dynamic lighting.

Jeff Heidman

I just finished reading the account of the attack on Lucherberg by the 104th Division from Against the Panzers. First thing they did was to unload their weapons and attack with fixed bayonets. Anyone firing would immediately seen as enemy. Wish CM would do this.

LimShady