Small-sized Arty

Hullo all,

I've personally had bad experiences with artillery before, most of the cheap, American 81mm variety. However, recently, in the middle of a TCP/IP game with a friend online, I found one of my British Paratroop platoons being maimed by a mass of German 81's being called down with extreme accuracy. Now, i'm not saying that there's something wrong with the way arty is modeled already, I think it's fine. However, i'm trying to figure out, for either side, which smaller-sized artillery works best? I've found American 75's to be useful because of their blast, and of course, when I can afford them I always enjoy being able to drop 105mm VT's on my opponent. Usually in the games I play (1250-2000 points), I cannot afford anything over 105mm and Allied 81's will pin men but never seem to cause the number of casualties I'd hope an accurate barrage would. I haven't gotten much experience with many pieces of German arty, but i'd like to know what works for them too.

P.S.- If this topic has been discussed already, can someone please direct me to it? Thanks.

Personally, I like 81's over 75's because teh 81's will come down a lot quicker. The 75's have a good blast radius and are useful on offense against a defender stuck in one general location, but in a more fluid situation, there is nothing like the ability to call down arty quickly.

For the same reason, I prefer teh 120mm mortar to a 105.

MrSpkr

You're right, 81mm, especially the US version doesn't pack a lot of punch. The german 81mm is a little bit better due to a bit higher blast radius.

You have to learn to use the CORRECT arty units for certain conditions.

81mm mortars are not for KILLING, but for SUPPRESSING enemy troops. If you can pin an enemy platoon in the open, then call in the big guns to cause some real damage. In woods the chance of tree bursts significantly improve the lethality of light arty, but still don't expect too much.

At least you get a lot of them. Due to their fast reaction time use them to knock out AT/Flak guns and they can be quite effective against open topped vehicles or tanks with light top armour. I lost some Hetzers to enemy mortar fire.

When attacking enemy troops in foxholes you need bigger stuff. 75mm at least, although I would prefer 105mm and more, if you can spend the points.

I like the german 120mm mortars, you can suppress enemy troops, cause quite some casualties and they're cheap.

For most battles I think a mixture of 81mm mortars, 75mm and 105 mm should be sufficient.

Guest Babra

Game-wise I like the Brit 3" jobs. I don't know if batteries had more tubes or what, but they seem to come down fast and furious.

As stated above, different tubes have different purposes.

81s are great for suppressing infantry, and 2 81 spotters firing at the same place can be devastating, just because of the number of targets. They are also the ultimate ant-ATG and smokescreening weapons. They are great on the defensive, because they can be called down on top of your own (dug-in) positions without too much risk to your own men.

Heavy mortars (4.2 in and 120mm) are the best of both worlds. Come in quick, do plenty of damage.

105s are also quite dual purpose. Not quite heavy enough to take out troops in buildings, but real nasty on troops in the open or troops in foxholes.

The bigger stuff is very good for flat out destruction of enemy forces. Especailly those US 155s, which come in fast enough to be of use against a mobile opponent.

And the 14 inch naval guns are the hand of God expressed in CM. One hit and say bye-bye to that company.

WWB

For the Germans I LOVE the 120mm mortars. Just look at the price and look at the damage they cost, well worth it. I play 1000-1250 QBs and this arty gives me the support I need.

The allied 4.5 are the best, also very cost effective. I reccomend the 4.5 for the allies!