Flares at Night

Panzerman has the right idea of limiting the usage of flares by reducing the number available to fire.

Just being able to use flares as part of recon/probe/main attack/diversionary attack during night battles would be greatly welcomed.

I have months ago brought up this same subject but I'm afraid no one else thought much of it so I doubt you will get much of a response but good luck. I personally think it would be a really neat idea and would love to see it in CM2. I enjoy fighting at night alot myself. Mostly due, I have to admit, to avoid German armor. This to me evens out their greater range over the American Shermans and makes it a much more even match. So flares would really be super and hope it's at least considered in the next game.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

... I enjoy fighting at night alot myself. Mostly due, I have to admit, to avoid German armor. This to me evens out their greater range over the American Shermans and makes it a much more even match. So flares would really be super and hope it's at least considered in the next game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry lcm1947 - couldn't resist :D

Don't you think that star shells (or flares. whatever) would defeat your tactic of defeating german armour advantage by fighting at night? Night-into-day and all that.

On a techo point ... just how would one model flares - at a reasonable programming overhead - in a 3D environment? If you think about it, its rather a complex problem.

* units that are in the primary illumination area actually have reduced vision (due to impact on their night vision)

* units that are '00's of metres away can see the illuminated area, but not the intervening ground

* how do you taper off the illumination effect as you get futher from the flare

*etc.

IMHO, nice, but too hard.

But then, I'm no programmer ;)

Oh, there is also the issue of silhouettes of units between the observer and the illuminating source. Should that be included too?

And what about the effect of burning buildings/trees/AFVs? Should that be included also?

Shrug. I can cope without it ... I'll fight during civilised hours. 9am - 5pm please, and can I have some toast and a coffee with the morning paper? Thanks. :cool:

Quote from JonS

____On a techo point ... just how would one model flares - at a reasonable programming overhead - in a 3D environment? If you think about it, its rather a complex problem.

* units that are in the primary illumination area actually have reduced vision (due to impact on their night vision)

* units that are '00's of metres away can see the illuminated area, but not the intervening ground

* how do you taper off the illumination effect as you get futher from the flare

*etc._______________________________________

JonS, I have no idea what you just said ( well most of it anyway) so I'm afraid I can't anwer your question but I believe you may be correct - it would be too hard or not possible at all, but wouldn't it be cool! ;)

kburns24,

Many of us would love to see flares in CMBB, whether trip fired, fired from a flare gun or mortar and gun launched. I believe the answer is that they won't be in because implementing them requires Dynamic Lighting, which in turn is a huge hit on graphics in a game which is already pushing boatloads of polygons, many many more than a typical first person shooter has, in fact. Expect BTS to not do anything like this until the engine rewrite, by which time the necessary graphic processing power should be cheaply available. BTS wants to keep the game playable on most PCs and Macs, rather than requiring everyone to go out and buy a cutting edge computer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Kettler

JonS. Now wait a minute. I wasn't talking about me personally fighting at some ungodly hour. I'm the commander and need my sleep. I was just wanting the troops to do it. :D So, I gather it would be too hard to do. Oh well, I'll just have to continue to feel my way around in the dark it looks like. I may just play around and see if I can come up with a way to do it - yeah right! :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

And what about the effect of burning buildings/trees/AFVs? Should that be included also?:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn right - if they can do it in X-Com then they can do it in CM!! :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I'll fight during civilised hours. 9am - 5pm please, and can I have some toast and a coffee with the morning paper? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note to self - always send Jon his turns during tea time!! smile.gif

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Stalin's Organ ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Note to self - always send Jon his turns during tea time!! smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steady on, old man! That's hardly cricket!

[mumbles to self] Bloody colonials... [/mumbles to self]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

I believe the answer is that they won't be in because implementing them requires Dynamic Lighting, which in turn is a huge hit on graphics in a game which is already pushing boatloads of polygons, many many more than a typical first person shooter has, in fact. Expect BTS to not do anything like this until the engine rewrite, by which time the necessary graphic processing power should be cheaply available. BTS wants to keep the game playable on most PCs and Macs, rather than requiring everyone to go out and buy a cutting edge computer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Kettler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To quote Angus Deaton:

'Is the right answer!'

Flares are dynamic lighting, so you can't do it in this engine. If you want to simulate an illuminated battlefield, fog and dawn/dusk will have to do.