1st SS Panzer Corps SS LAH in Normandy

Have been reading Steel Inferno about the exploits/organization etc of the 1 SS PZ Crps SS LAH in Normandy. The author notes that the Germans were able to mold two divisions, the 1st SS Leibstandarte AH and 12th SS Hitlerjugend, into one Corps with almost a British-like regimental idealogy (Hence, 1st SS PZ Corps SS LAH.) The author's premise is that regimental esprit is why the Corps fought so hard for so long during the Normandy period modelled by CM.

What a book, I'm sure many of the scenario designers have perhaps used this to model scenarios/operations such as Mortain, Villers-Bocage (in which, by the way, I've yet to duplicate Wittman's feats).

I was wondering, where are the Nebelwefers and Whirbelwinds (think I spelled both right) that were integral to the Corps in Normandy in CM? According the Steel Inferno, the Nebels had ranges from 3000 to 9000m, depending on the particular model. Also, the Whirbelwind, which is described as a quad 20mm mounted on a Pz MK IV Chassis (the author credits a 1LT in the Corps for coming up with the idea), were often used in close infantry support roles.

Perhaps I've just not selected the correct scenario, and if so who could offer suggestions for play where these weapons are used(would like to see a "screaming meemie" barrage just once)?

Both are already available in CM as far as I know. A Nebelwefers is the german for rockets, which are off map artillery in CM.

You can get Wirblewinds as well I believe.

To use these just create a Quck Battle and choose them, me thinks Wirblewinds are found under Armour and rockets are obvioulsy under artillery.

Im pretty sure "Another day in the cavalry" gives the germans a 300mm Rocket spotter, which when I played I found rather useful.

Guest Germanboy

When you design historical scenarios, it can sometimes be very difficult to find out what kind of arty actually played a role in the 2x2km map fight you are portraying. I have read a combat report by the OC 9th SS (on http://www.feldgrau.com ) in which he makes no mention of the calibre, whether the arty he talks about was tube, Nebelwerfer, mortar etc. Difficult to do at best of times, and often something that I guess will be used to balance a scenario.

As for the Wirbelwind - any idea where it fought in the frontline on a given day, where you have enough info to create a scenario and where that scenario would be playable? Good luck. biggrin.gif Again, difficult to do.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

It's all in the game dfgardner. While reading this book, you should create some scenarios from what you've read. Much like Wild Bill and the rest of the INCREDIBLE scenario designers, they use historical accounts with real maps of Europe in their creations. I suggest you do the same my friend!

-Head

------------------

"No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Some other sources you might find interesting:

The Leibstandarte III (ISBN 0-921991-05-3)

by Rudolf Lehman

$36.00 (US) / $44.00 (CDN)

Hard cover, 9"x6", 468 pages, 89 photographs.

This volume covers the LAH from December 18, 1942 to January 21, 1944. It deals with such important actions as the fighting around Kharkov, Operation Zitadelle, the LAH’s deployment to Italy and the fighting for Zhitomir.

The Leibstandarte IV/1 (ISBN 0-921991-16-9)

$56.00 (US) / $72.00 (CDN)

Hard cover, 9"x6", 360 pages, 53 photographs, includes a separate 44-page full-color map book for volumes IV/1 and IV/2.

Covers the LAH from late 1943 to September 1944, with extensive coverage of actions in Normandy. Many personal accounts.

The Leibstandarte IV/2 (ISBN 0-921991-40-1)

$46.00 (US) / $64.00 (CDN)

Hard cover, 9"x6", 470 pages, 78 photographs and 5 maps.

The concluding volume of the 5-volume set. Covers the LAH from mid-1944 until its surrender in may 1945. Contains a lot of detail on the final battles: the Ardennes, Operation "Springwind", the Plattensee Offensive and the last battle—Berlin.

Note the map book for Vols IV/1 and IV/2. Sadly, the Vols I and II are out of print.

For Eastern Front reading, I highly recommend the following:

History of Panzerkorps "Großdeutschland" by Helmut Spaeter (ISBN 0-921991-12-6). Volume 1: $48.00 (US) / $57.00 (CDN). Hard cover, 9"x6", 550 pages, many maps and orders of battle.

The first volume of a 3-volume set covers the "GD" from its inception as a "Wach"-Regiment in 1921 through its evolution into an infantry regiment. Covered are the unit’s first action in France in 1940 and its reorganization as a Panzergrenadier-Division. This volume covers the regiment through the end of 1942.

History of Panzerkorps "Großdeutschland" by Helmut Spaeter (ISBN 0-921991-27-4). Volume 2: $50.00 (US) / $70.00 (CDN). Hard cover, 9"x6", 560 pages, 20 maps.

Volume 2 covers the "GD" from late 1942 until early 1945. It includes details on affiliated units such as Kurmark, Brandenburg and the Führer-Begleit-Brigade.Lots of first-hand descriptions and small-unit actions.

The History of Panzerkorps "Großdeutschland", Volume 3 by Helmut Spaeter. Hard cover, small format (6x9), 512 pages, 30+ maps and diagrams. This is the third and final volume of the text history of this elite formation. We are in the process of finishing the layout now. Sections include: The creation of Panzer-Korps "Großdeutschland"; the complete history of the Brandenburgers as a commando unit; the history of Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Brandenburg"; the final fighting of both "Großdeutschland" and "Brandenburg"; the activation of additional "Großdeutschland" formations in the final, desperate fighting; the "Führer" Divisions on the Eastern Front; the Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Kurmark". Each section is filled with detailed, first-hand accounts from the participants. The author, Knight's Cross recipient Helmut Spaeter, recently passed away. Regular price: $52 (US) / $75 (CDN). (ISBN: 0-921991-50-9).

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

You may also wnat to check out "Order of Battle"

Waffen SS Panzer Units in Normandy 1944.

by M .Wood & J.Dugdale

ISBN 0-952886-70-7

This cover's the complete TOE of the 1st , 2nd 9th , 10th , 12th WSS Pz Divisions as well as the 17 GvBPzG Div , 1.SS PZ Korps , SS sPz Abt 101 , 102 and the 26 SS & 27 SS Pz Divs.

Very good book.

Regards

Måkjager

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage