Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Need fast hunt

I think fast hunt option is needed. Panzer should be able to travel with full speed and stop to shoot. That was the way germans usually used their armor in offensive, right?

Ofcourse fire at fast move was used for suppression, but it wasnt very accurate.

And current hunt is at half speed.

Full speed hunt should decrease spotting but must be there.

------------------

illo, no it's not, for two reasons:

1) target acquisition is virtually impossible in a tank going flat out

2) German tanks didn't have gun stabilization (right?) which meant that the time needed to stop the tank, get the gun aligned (esp with slow turret speeds) etc etc, would have meant the tank was moving from A to B not much faster than at the current HUNT speed.

DjB

I also don´t think that CM needs a "fast hunt" order. Beman is right, in a fast moving tank it´s VERY hard to spot the enemy. When moving offroad at high speed the tank commander was busy enough to watch out for dangerous terrain such as hollows to asist the driver.

During my service in the army, when our "Fuchs" drove at hight speed through the fields, you just tried not to get knocked out... Impossible to use binoculars when you´re rocking around like a rodeo rider...

I think CM models this quite well. Go at a medium speed and look for the enemy or make a dash for the next hull-down position.

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

Guest Germanboy

I believe the way this worked earlier on in the desert was:

1. UK tank going flat out, TC trying to acquire target.

2. TC acquires target, orders driver to stop and gunner to lay gun on target.

3. Gunner lays, fires, TC observes whether hit or not.

Repeat ad nauseam or until a dug-in 88 takes care of UK tank.

This is probably because many of the units in the desert had traded in their horses only a year or two earlier biggrin.gif

You can simulate this in CM, by giving fast movement orders with waypoints at which to stop. The Tac AI may or may not spot something (more likely not), and engage when you stop.

I don't see the need for a special command, since it would not be very realistic in the ETO landscape in 1944, I believe. These kind of cavalry charges needed open, flat terrain and more often than not still ended in tears. Try that in hedges, copses and bad weather. You are probably better off blowing your tank apart before you start. That way you save the petrol and the crew.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

...You can simulate this in CM, by giving fast movement orders with waypoints at which to stop. The Tac AI may or may not spot something (more likely not), and engage when you stop.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Germanboy, How do you put a stop waypoint in? AFAIK there are no pause/stop orders. Am I missing something on this? Does'nt placing a short hunt command in between fast commands seem to work in *most* instances fairly well?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does'nt placing a short hunt command in between fast commands seem to work in *most* instances fairly well?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THX! Germanboy and Dirtweasle, no problem here now.

Sorry for disturbing you with this stupid question. I should maybe think before posting biggrin.gif

I don't think it is a stupid question just one related to tactics. I think I read in a summary of lessons german tankers learned from the Eastern Front (written by Germans) that there are 2 tank speeds: fast and stopped to fire. You might find this site at the Meta-campaign link at this site.

You can't put "stop" waypoints. What Andreas meant (IMO) is that whenever a waypoint happens, the TaCAI has a greater chance of engaging a target.

I think a better approach is to have fast segments alternating with (short) move or hunt segments, during which the TacAI can engage.

Regards

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...