Autopurchase loves 251/1 halftracks. Why?

Seems like every time I use autopurchasing the german side get's a load

of these worthless halftracks.

Maybe there's also other stuff you get all the time, but these I notice

as I consider them overpriced crap.

Is there some kind of historic availlability guideline the system uses

for autopurchases or what? Is the AI just being a bitch?

Am I just imagining this? redface.gif

What kind of force did you ask for?

If you sai "armour" or "mechanised", it fits what German infantry of that kind should look like.

Note the "should", it applies even to the historic forces. While they were supposed to sit in half-tracks, they often had trucks.

They are not useless. If you have them as infantry for armour, use the whole force to be very mobile and get the opponent on the move. If you hadn't have halftracks, your men would be exhaust by the time they arrive or would have to ride unarmoured. They are good for supressive fire and/or to move mortar or MG teams around, again good for supressive fire.

The only problem I have with German halftracks in CMBO is that they are of less value than they cost because of the Allied .50cal MG. The availability of this halftrack killer shapes the map redically for mechanised assaults of this kind.

If you get infantry of the "armoured Panzergrenadier" kind, you get the halftracks at a discount.

Just remember to use your strength with such a force, mobility, don't engage in standing duels.

The force I'm talking about is combined arms.

Now I realize the combined arms force has a large section for vehicles.

I know 251/1 can be put to good use.

But still! There's a good dozen vehicles to choose from. So why is it just 251/1's all the time. At least half of the vehicles the autopurchaser chooses are 251/1's.

If there's a reason for it, rarity or somefink, I understand.

But I was under impression there is no historic system for purchasing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

But still! There's a good dozen vehicles to choose from. So why is it just 251/1's all the time. At least half of the vehicles the autopurchaser chooses are 251/1's.

If there's a reason for it, rarity or somefink, I understand.

But I was under impression there is no historic system for purchasing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 251/1 comes with the armoured Panzergrenadier platoons, companies and battaltions. The computer usually prefers to choose organic infantry units, not piecemeal. And if it wants motorized (even as infantry for combinaed arms), it chooses the one that comes with halftracks, as the vehicles come at a discount.

Still, I don't like this because a) I think the German halftracks are overpriced, considering the .50cal and B) too much value is put into vehicles for such an "infantry" unit. A company: 362 points infantry, 75 points support, 977 points halftracks, most of it in 18 sdkfz 251/1. That is a bit too much of the goods, the player simply lacks squads to go anywhere.

If the AI only gave you 251/1's with Armored Panzergrenadiers, Jarmo wouldn't be complaining --- but the German AI gives you HT's with everybody! Especially in Combined Arms QB's. Not much advantage to their mobility in small point battles where every point counts. It does become rather tedious --- especially when the Allies can pick them off with spit-balls.

The other unit that the AI seems in love with is Commonwealth Engineer squads...