OT -I'm SOOO excited!

They were having a sale at buy.com and I (finally) bought a monitor I have been waiting for. It's a Samsung Dynaflat 19" and it looks SWEET! It just shipped and UPS gives it an arrival date of Saturday! WHoo-hoo!

I'm using a regular old 17" so this will be a BIG improvement. And even my kids are happy 'cause it means I can pull the old PI 233 out 'o the closet and fire it up for their barbie and hotwheels games now that we'll have the extra monitor for them.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a new monitor, this sucker is going for $251 american shipped! (Thats $301 -#30 Buy.com promotion, -$20 mail in rabate, +free shipping.)

Great, now you just need a new graphics card to make the best use of the monitor, and a faster computer to make the best use of the graphics card, and high-res textures to make the best use of the computer, and a faster internet connection to download all those textures, and a high-end digital camera and scanner and laser printer and graphics tablet because of the marvellous things you could do with your powerful new machine, and Photoshop and Illustrator and Dreamweaver to make the best use of all this imaging hardware, and you're all set!

After you sell the wife and kids (and probably the house as well), that is.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Great, now you just need a new graphics card to make the best use of the monitor, and a faster computer to make the best use of the graphics card, and high-res textures to make the best use of the computer, and a faster internet connection to download all those textures, and a high-end digital camera and scanner and laser printer and graphics tablet because of the marvellous things you could do with your powerful new machine, and Photoshop and Illustrator and Dreamweaver to make the best use of all this imaging hardware, and you're all set!

After you sell the wife and kids (and probably the house as well), that is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Swat him with a kipper, David!!

Actually, I have ALMOST the perfect set up, at least this week! My processor is a 900 T-Bird, my g-card is a 32MB TNT2, and I have a cable modem.

Really the only thing I am waiting on is a sale on the Logitech cordless keyboard and cordless OPTICAL mouse. Oh, and eventually I do want to get a g-card that has TV capability so I can sit around on the couch with my keyboard on my lap and my optical mouse tickling my wife's back as she lounges beside me and we edit digitized home movies of our kids fighting each other over their Christmas presents.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General Forum:

Congratulations. You will now get so much more enjoyment while reading the General Forum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I always wonder why people post things here that start with (OT). If you know it's off-topic then why do you post it here??? Panzer Leader?

Oh I just like to shake things up now and again. Also, I am an anarchist, so it fits in well with my political beliefs.

Oh, yeah, also 'cause it's funny to see Michael Dorosh come storming in here with admonishments about why it is necessary to keep OT subjects where they belong. Really, subvet, MD does a MUCH better job of scolding OT posters. :D

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

He's just copying me, I got mine last week. I started wasting him in our PBEM, so he needs to catch up in order to hold off my troops. :P<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it is well known to every school child that if one CM player has a larger monitor than another, he then gets extra points to purchase units in the setup screens.

This is because his pixel-depth to unit frontage ratio is better than that of his opponent.

When you add this to the large number of cheating mod users whose extra pixel depth gives them thicker armor and more penetrating shells you have real imbalance.

Thank god the artillery shells are hard coded into the game.

"Oh, yeah, also 'cause it's funny to see Michael Dorosh come storming in here with admonishments about why it is necessary to keep OT subjects where they belong. Really, subvet, MD does a MUCH better job of scolding OT posters."

(chuckle) How true, where's he at?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Panzer Leader wrote:

Ok, so since my monitor is Flatscreen, can I expect to have better LOS in hilly battles?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This actually makes it less resilient to AP rounds. You should angle the monitor towards the ground 45° to increase the chance of ricochets. Better still, turn the monitor away from you while you play, to protect the fragile parts from enemy fire. Placing a sheet of metal over the screen will also help.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Actually, I have ALMOST the perfect set up, at least this week! My processor is a 900 T-Bird, my g-card is a 32MB TNT2, and I have a cable modem.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cable modem or DSL, ensure you have a firewall, trojan detector, and virus checking software on your machine...

smile.gif