mg42 multiple kills

View?u=1671300&a=12814213&p=49312569

This was in a QB against the computer. It was a 700 point high quality units allied attack.

I had never seen multiple kills by an MG42 team as high as this before. I may have seen 6 but definitly not more. In this shot you see the mg42 team in the small house. I had a 20mm flak gun in the woods to his right and I bunch of 44 rifle squads supporting it. The mg42 just picked off allied troops as my supporting infantry and flak kept the allied troops from taking cover in the woods. Is this what the germans ment by supporting their machine guns? smile.gif

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Freak ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freak:

This was in a QB against the computer. It was a 700 point high quality units allied attack.

I had never seen multiple kills by an MG42 team as high as this before. I may have seen 6 but definitly not more. In this shot you see the mg42 team in the small house. I had a 20mm flak gun in the woods to his right and I bunch of 44 rifle squads supporting it. The mg42 just picked off allied troops as my supporting infantry and flak kept the allied troops from taking cover in the woods. Is this what the germans ment by supporting their machine guns? smile.gif

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Freak ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats not too remarkable. The reason you see such low kills, in general, is because you see CONFIRMED kills only. If you stick an mg42 on the reverse slope of open terrain with a flag on your side, you'll see pretty good casualties.

Combined Arms is definitely the key to CM.

Using all of your squads to maximum effect is not easy to do but generally who ever does it the best wins the game.

I'm not a fan of the LMG42 but it has it's advantages and used right is probarly a very effective unit.

MGs don't confirm their kills very well. I had a battle where I had three MGs by themselves against a company advancing (at a run) in the open. The MGs all bought it after a couple of turns, but just before they blinked out I checked their kills and they didn't have any! However, in talking to my oppponent I later found out that they did considerable damage to the advancing infantry. Nobody believes the MG guys I guess.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wadepm:

MGs don't confirm their kills very well. I had a battle where I had three MGs by themselves against a company advancing (at a run) in the open. The MGs all bought it after a couple of turns, but just before they blinked out I checked their kills and they didn't have any! However, in talking to my oppponent I later found out that they did considerable damage to the advancing infantry. Nobody believes the MG guys I guess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about your game with me wade?

If you are then I can confirm that those three machine guns (1 .50 and 2 mmgs if I remember correctly) killed one whole squad and got about three casualties in each of the other five or six squads. Remarkably, however, all my HQs were unscathed smile.gif

In CMBO, infantry is much more resistant against fire from front than from sides and rear. If you have attackers at least 90 degrees apart, the attacked unit takes heavy losses.

You can bunch up a platoon and several MGs in front of a squad and shoot until you are out of ammo, the game considers the defender to be behind some kind of cover. Attack from multiple directions and they are vulnerable and start retreating, which makes them even more vulnerable.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: redwolf ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

In CMBO, infantry is much more resistant against fire from front than from sides and rear. If you have attackers at least 90 degrees apart, the attacked unit takes heavy losses.

You can bunch up a platoon and several MGs in front of a squad and shoot until you are out of ammo, the game considers the defender to be behind some kind of cover. Attack from multiple directions and they are vulnerable and start retreating, which makes them even more vulnerable.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: redwolf ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good points redwolf, thanks. That sounds like sound CM advice.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Freak ]