Brand New Buildings!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Tanks,

Just a little bit of advice, shrink your screenshots a little they take a little too long to load.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice Maximus. I wanted to show the detail up close, but maybe I should have cropped them down more.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Nice buildings!..as a newbie at

mods, how do these compare to the

panzartruppen buildings in terms

of frame rate hit. Are they much

more high res?

Also, where can I get that black

water you did?

--Rett<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are twice the resolution of Panzertruppen's but I don't think they hurt frame rates too much.

Tom's computer crashed so he hasn't been able to put them or the water up yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

Try the web site in his sig its under Changing the face of warfare .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well nothing like hiding the obvious. I guess the word "MODS" was too simple of a word to use for a link. :rolleyes:

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Tanks, I thought there were supposed to be 8 buildings in the mod set? The dl on the site only includes 5 as far as I can discern. I don't see the one with the water barrel included. Is this a mistake or am I just not looking hard enough?

All 8 are there. He's just got 5 screenshots.

Each house only consists of 3 files. Front, back, and side.

I had to lighten my set up a bit. They were just WAY to dark. The roof tiles were extremely dark. They looked almost black when I opened up the folder to look at the bitmaps.

Agua:

I only included 5 screenshots. I was trying to keep the size of the download under 10MB. Either that or I just got lazy.

Maximus:

I wanted them dark to fit in with all the subdued terrain out there. I also think my monitor is turned up brighter than most people. Everybody says the screenshot of my dark blue water looks black.

Well nothing like hiding the obvious. I guess the word "MODS" was too simple of a word to use for a link. :rolleyes:

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe I kinda suspected that that comment would come up. My idea for the Combat Mission Times was to make it look like a newspaper. That's why I tried to stay away from the obvious CM terms on the front page and instead tried using more "real life" like paragraphs.

I have added a "link bar" at the bottom of the page. This should make navigation of the page a little easier.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Michlos ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Priest:

I wonder who got Tanks a Lot into CM? HMMMMM?

Hey buddy what is up?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you want from me Priest? Half of everything I make on buiding sales?

;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

Thanks for the advice Maximus. I wanted to show the detail up close, but maybe I should have cropped them down more.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not what I meant. Don't crop them, just change the dimensions once you take your screenshot.

I play CM in 1280x1024. My screenshots are huge. But what I do is to shrink their dimensions down by at least 60%. (EDIT: Err, umm...I meant 60% of their original size so actually only about 20-40% reduction) In fact, if the screenshot comes out to something close to a "standard" resolution, I use that standard resolution. Yes, it may distort it a little, but not enough to notice.

For example, if my screenshot comes out to something like 843x624, I'll resize it to 800x600.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

That's not what I meant. Don't crop them, just change the dimensions once you take your screenshot.

I play CM in 1280x1024. My screenshots are huge. But what I do is to shrink their dimensions down by at least 60%. (EDIT: Err, umm...I meant 60% of their original size so actually only about 20-40% reduction) In fact, if the screenshot comes out to something close to a "standard" resolution, I use that standard resolution. Yes, it may distort it a little, but not enough to notice.

For example, if my screenshot comes out to something like 843x624, I'll resize it to 800x600.

Actually I posted this whole point to the wrong person. It's gunnergoz who is posting really BIG pictures. He posts pic that are 650K.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tanks, Maximus - thanks for the replies. Maybe it was just a quirk of the 2 scenarios I tried them in, but I couldn't count any more than 5 different buildings. The detail on them is great Tanks. The roofing is very dark and a couple of the buildings seem overly dark. Which leads to my next request...

Max - I am a complete idgit and making any type of modification to bmp files, could you possibly send me copies of the roof bmp's? I have adsl now so the size wouldn't be a problem on this end. If its too big a hassle, I understand.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Agua:

Tanks, Maximus - thanks for the replies. Maybe it was just a quirk of the 2 scenarios I tried them in, but I couldn't count any more than 5 different buildings. The detail on them is great Tanks. The roofing is very dark and a couple of the buildings seem overly dark. Which leads to my next request...

Max - I am a complete idgit and making any type of modification to bmp files, could you possibly send me copies of the roof bmp's? I have adsl now so the size wouldn't be a problem on this end. If its too big a hassle, I understand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I might lighten the roof textures and send them to Michlos and Tom.

I know the grey stone building is a little too dark but are there other ones you feel should be lightened?

Again, Thanks Tanks [edit - how could I forget Michlos?] and Michlos!!

Yes, there are a couple (?) of buildings that look almost as if they are covered in dark ash or something which could use some lightening.

Also, I'm not certain on this, but it seems there are several very light buildings (is that correct). They almost look indistinguishable without closer inspection and simply playing the game, they tend to group together and make it appear almost cookie cutter like. Again, the detail on the individual buildings is magnificent. I might offer that if there was someway to just over slightly differing levels of darkness (I don't know what you talented modders call it) it would aid immensly. Another thought is maybe to vary the coloring of the roofing (it seems like some of Pztruppens had terra cotta mixed in with the dark slate).

Just a few suggestions Tanks, but they ARE beautiful. Thank you so much for lightening up the roof tiles.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Agua ]

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Agua ]

Thanks Michlos. You are faster than a speeding bullet.

Agua:

There are only 2 buildings that I consider pretty bright and similar in color. Sometimes CM will place the same building 5 times in a row and there's nothing you can do about it. There's only so much variety you can get with 2 roof tiles. You have to be very carefull when making roof textures because I believe It repeats 8 times on just a small building. Any features that stand out will repeat like crazy.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I still have plenty of room for improvement.