CM tank opinions

Hi,

I was looking for opinions on British tanks. Which ones are good and which have problems. I seem to remember a "Best Tank" thread but I can't seem to get a response from the search tool (and that's with really limiting the search criteria).

Thanks

Pete

personally, I have no respect for the cromwell, or sherman 2 or 5, but the firefly I always target first with my tanks. ALthough the armor on a firefly is not that thick, the penetration abilities are really good from the gun. The churchill is ok, the comet is pretty kewl, and the crocidile is really good for city fighting

Adding to my previous post.The problems with the sherman are first, it burns easily, second, the armor is not thick, and third, the gun can't penetrate tiger or panther tanks unless it gets really close to the side.

The cromwell's problem is basically the same as the shermans.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bojangles:

The cromwell's problem is basically the same as the shermans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The upside of a Cromwell is it moves faster then a Tigers gun turet so the Tiger can have problems with them.

Well, as far as good British Tanks, the Fireflys are definately something to watch out for. With tungsten use fixed since v1.1, no German tank is safe from them at practically any range. Just play "Villers Boccage-Tiger!" and you'll see what I mean.

But the major drawback to the other "pure" British tanks is their flat armor plates. It doesn't take much to penetrate a verticle armor plate.

The later Churchills with 152mm armor instead of 88 are fairly tough to deal with. Panthers have to hit them fairly straight on, Tigers rarely get through the front and Pz 4s and Stugs are relatively useless for frontal shots. The only reliable counter-punch is anything equipped with an 88 L71 cannon. They're painfully slow though. They also have that problem of a weak main gun, even the 95mm one isn't much good against tanks over 500m. The 95 guns are really nice for anti-infantry work though.

You should have pointed out that all late Churchills are close support or infantry tanks. Not main battle tanks. The best of the Churchill tanks is the flamethrower Mk. The flame can only be fired at less then 100m but its good in tough city battles.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Indeed true. Churchill VIIs (I think that's right) have the thick front armour. I had a gun damaged Churchill ping off 5 88mm shells and a load of 75mm ones in a QB I've done. Had to get that one by fast moving a Hetzer to it's side and put a 75mm shell into it. :mad:

As a player who normally picks Axis I tend to fear the Fireflys or the Challengers in the tank vs tank battles. Churchills are very useful in infantry support when I have been British (which is not very often)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

The later Churchills with 152mm armor instead of 88 are fairly tough to deal with. Panthers have to hit them fairly straight on, Tigers rarely get through the front and Pz 4s and Stugs are relatively useless for frontal shots. The only reliable counter-punch is anything equipped with an 88 L71 cannon. They're painfully slow though. They also have that problem of a weak main gun, even the 95mm one isn't much good against tanks over 500m. The 95 guns are really nice for anti-infantry work though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ about the infantry support Churchill Mk VIII's not being able to penetrate German armour. With their shaped charge shots ("C") they can even penetrate Tiger II's frontally in the right circumstances and certainly have no problem dealing with Hetzers & Panthers frontally... provided you hit. And here's the drawback. With its short barrelled 95 mm howitzer gun it is woefully innaccurate if the range exceeds 500 to 600 metres.

However, on the plus side.. if it does hit it doesn't matter what the range in terms of reducing the penetrating power of the shot. The shaped charge shots do not suffer from reduced penetration no matter what the distance, just like Panzerschreks, PIATs & the like.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Regards

Jim R.

The problem with all "Infantry" tanks in Tank vs Tank role is that it has very limited Shaped Charge rounds.

They are Infantry Close support tanks and i believe should be used as such. Those few shaped charge rounds are for defence aginst enemy tanks more then offence.

My 2 cents worth smile.gif

One tank which I am suprised has not been mentioned here is the Comet. It has the cromwell's few advantages, speed and cost, combined with a quite effective main gun (a bastardized 17pdr, not nearly as effective but effective enough).

WWB