Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

To you military modelers....

The best way to learn is to just start with a simple kit (most Tamiya kits work). Then just take your time. Just keep trying and don't worry what other people think. You might look around for modeling groups in your area. Most good ones will help you with your projects.

Eric

For completed models, I wouldn't know offhand.

If you're interested in getting into the plastic model hobby, you might first ask what kind of things you'd like to build models of. Airplanes? Vehicles? Figures? Ships? Or a combination of these? When you have a better idea on that, then your search for modeling sources, kits, tools, & references will be easier.

For a sizable mail-order operation, here's a link:

www.squadron.com

Plastic models was one of my major hobbies in earlier days. If you've got more specific questions, I'll follow up later on this thread.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Spook ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spook:

For completed models, I wouldn't know offhand.

If you're interested in getting into the plastic model hobby, you might first ask what kind of things you'd like to build models of. Airplanes? Vehicles? Figures? Ships? Or a combination of these? When you have a better idea on that, then your search for modeling sources, kits, tools, & references will be easier.

For a sizable mail-order operation, here's a link:

www.squadron.com

Plastic models was one of my major hobbies in earlier days. If you've got more specific questions, I'll follow up later on this thread.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Spook ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm mainly interested in the tanks. I want to start off with Soviet tanks. I like German armor and there is certainly a lot of models of them but many people do the German thing. I'd like to model the IS-2m, the T-34 and those wacky tank riders. I know Tamiya has a new T-34/85 set that includes some SMG tank riders. I wonder if anyone has this and can comment on them. Also, if you know of some modeling companies other than Tamiya that makes good Soviet armor kits, I would appreciate any suggestions. Actually does PST make good models? The last time I made a model was when I was 7 and that was the good old Huey chopper. It was a horrific job but I liked it. Being 7 years old, my standards were not too high back then.

Is making new equipment mods in CM similar to regular military modeling? Seems like the same skills would apply only easier to do--relatively.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commissar:

Is making new equipment mods in CM similar to regular military modeling? Seems like the same skills would apply only easier to do--relatively.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends. And I've done CM mods too. Comparatively, it's easier for me to guide a paintbrush than to digitally "paint" with a mouse. But with computer graphics, I can easily clean up my mistakes.

From what I see of PST in my Squadron catalog, they do 1/72nd scale Soviet vehicles as their primary line. From the small pictures I see of some built PST models, these look reasonable in scaled accuracy, though they may not be overly detailed. The KV tank series, IS heavy tanks, and ISU SPG series are featured, though no T-34's that I can see. Also featured are various trucks including Katyusha rocket launchers.

The most extensive scale (with the most figures and accesories to match) for armor is 1/35th. Tamiya is indeed a primary producer of 1/35 tank models, including many WW2 Soviet vehicles. (The Soviet assault infantry set is Tamiya's TM35207.) Some of the Tamiya kits, might be "dated" or 1970's quality without being retooled. Two other contenders for 1/35 Soviet vehicles are DML (Hong Kong) and Italeri.

These should be noted in the web site I provided an earlier link to.

From what you're describing as "getting into" modelling, I'd suggest you try one or two of the PST 1/72 model series you noted earlier. As these are much smaller than 1/35, they will help you cut your teeth in gluing & painting techniques. Modeling tips references are also sold through Squadron too.

Tamiya's set of assault infantry is a very good modelled one,its really worth the money.

Go to http://www.verlinden-productions.com

He sells very good magazines that gives you advise and shows you every aspect of modelling.

Most techniques for all kind of things like blending,wheatering,figurepainting,aircraft and so on are described step by step with drawings and pictures

There is a special about figurepainting,which is a need to have magazine!

Look there its really worth your money!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commissar:

I'd like to model the IS-2m, the T-34 and those wacky tank riders. I know Tamiya has a new T-34/85 set that includes some SMG tank riders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tamiya T34/85 is an old mold, although not too bad a representation. The best T34/85 on the market however is the Dragon one.

Dragon also brought out an IS2, ISU152, ISU122, SU85, SU100 and an IS1. They also released a reboxed SU76 that was manufactured by a Russian company originally.

All good kits although I'm not sure if they're still available.

Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

The Tamiya T34/85 is an old mold, although not too bad a representation. The best T34/85 on the market however is the Dragon one.

Mace<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would explain some of the price differences I've seen. Same company, same scale, same vechicle being modeled, but sometimes a big difference in price. I don't need anything too fancy for now since it'll be my little experimental rat. However, building a model seems to take a whole of of time and work so if I'm going to do it, might as well be the best looking I can make it.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Some people like me try but just don't seem to be any good at modelling. I've given up on making my own so I tried premade die-cast. There are some excellent models out there. Personly I've statred with the matchbox collectiblies range, these are about £20 each but if you wanted you can spend alot more on larger more detailed models.