Where's Harpoon 4?

Another one from the venerable SSI. Their website says Summer 2001, but they haven't added any new info in, like, forever. If it's SSI, it should be (pretty) good to outstanding. Larry Bond is doing the timeline and scenarios, and since he invented Harpoon, it should be pretty good. I only hope their scenario editor is up to snuff, I have a bunch of ideas I would like to get on the computer.

(yes, I am waiting impatiently for this one too)

Bart

------------------

"I have slipped the

surly bonds of earth...."

Guest Rex_Bellator

I don't know where the much anticipated Harpoon 4 is either, but I sure know where Matt will say this thread should be smile.gif

------------------

"You wanna be starting something?" - Michael Jackson

And before Matt locks this baby up, I've been following this for over a year now. It was originally supposed to be out last summer, then last fall, then this winter, then this spring, now I see it's been moved yet again to this summer. So, to answer your question, who the frig knows?!?! I guess when it's done, but if they release it same time as CM2, they can forget my business.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

According to GAME Studios, the new incarnation of what was once The Learning Company's entertainment division, which was once part of Mattel Interactive and which includes SSI (now as a brand within GAME Studios), Harpoon 4 is slated for publication in July of this year. This info was as of January 10.

Now, I've been trying to get a hold of someone over there to talk about Harpoon 4, and haven't heard squat. I talked with Larry Bond at E3 last year, and the game sounded good, but there wasn't enough to see to make a call on how far along it was. The team seemed pretty good, though, and from my conversation with Mr. Bond it seemed that most of what wargamers would like was going into the mix. Where all that stands now is hard to say.

SSI in the past has had problems with releasing games in semi-finished states. Now that the upheaval surrounding the Mattel-Learning Company debacle has begun to subside, we may indeed start seeing more games from this venerable company. How good they'll be is anyone's guess.

I think I will give it a "wait-n-see" rating to H4. After the H2 diaster, Harpoon Classics is still my favourite. Jane's Naval Commander is close after the "mod" applied, but it still looks too RTS to me.

FTTB, play CMBO..and more CMBO....

Sorry I am still a little sick.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"