More Perfect Artillery Impact Sounds

X-00

This is the greatest game I've ever played. It should be classified as addictive and BTS should include a 12 step program in the next patch.

That said the only short coming I see in the game is the artillery impact sound files. The sounds CM uses for artillery are of the "hollywood" variety--tinny, raspy with a high trebble content.

In "real-life" artillery impacts (mortars on up) are much more gutteral, throaty with a high bass content. Phonetically, the sound is ka-RUMPF, accent on the second syllable. Artillerymen will understand what i'm saying.

From a 1000 meters away, you not only hear the impact, but feel it from the feet up. The closer you get the more magnified the sound and feeling. (the closest I've been is 250m).

If BTS provides the equipment I can arrange to have grenades, 40mm, 60mm, 81mm, and 155mm impacts recorded at various ranges as close as 200m. (No I won't be holding the recording device).

For you sound experts out there, what devices would best withstand distrotion.

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by X-00:

For you sound experts out there, what devices would best withstand distrotion. [?]

Devices made of several inches of Rolled Hardened Armor, I should think.

wink.gif

Michael

Hug and Two Kisses (can I call you that? smile.gif), there are a few sound mods around that change the sound of the original artillery impact wav files. I am pretty sure one of the MadDog Mod Packs has these files and at least two other people have made mods available. There is a site that has several sound mods, but I don't have the link handy. I would think that live sound recordings would not fit in so well in a game. There are some sound files available that were recorded from live weapon firings and I personally don't like the way they sound in CM. You would probably do better to create the sounds with a synthesizer. As in the movies, a fake sound often sounds more realistic that the real sound itself. That's what the job of a foley artist is all about.

[This message has been edited by Pvt. Ryan (edited 02-13-2001).]

Thanks for the feedback.

I've listened to Scipio's (his MG mod with bullet hiss is very good) and some of the other mods. None of them deliver the realistic and terrifying sound and more important feeling of a full-fledged fire mission. There isn't enough bass, nor proper sound formulation. I think most of our sound systems would deliver the sound and feeling.

I think your right about the real-life recording. With distortion, particularily close. I suppose I can live with a little "hollywood" in an otherwise great game.

Hear Hear ; ) For myself I find good sound

can increase the experience of the game, movie or the likes 10 fold. Typically it's not as hard to build a good libary of sounds

as it would be to "code" a game, or create certain graphics. But I think in most cases

the wonderfull inhancing ingriedent of sound

gets over looked. People like what they "see",so to say,hence overlooking what they do not hear. At work we have an "80" Gig. sound archive and some of it even gets used : )

"The Greatest Game of My 20 ( somthin )Years of Gaming Award Goes to Battlefront's "Combat Mission"

Beyond Overlord.!!!!!!! Cheerz!

>>>>>>

BTS provides the equipment I can arrange to have grenades, 40mm, 60mm, 81mm, and 155mm impacts recorded at various ranges as close as 200m. (No I won't be holding the recording device).

<<<<<<

The closest I've every been to a 155 round impacting was 120m and I don't ever want to hear that again. The ground literally shook. Nothing worse than a short round or in this case two. smile.gif

The sounds CM uses for artillery are of the "hollywood" variety--tinny, raspy with a high trebble content.

In "real-life" artillery impacts (mortars on up) are much more gutteral, throaty with a high bass content.

I think one of the main problems are the loudspeakers used.

Most speakers I've seen for use with computers have frequency ranges going from around 100Hz and up.

More expensive systems allow frequencies down to 50Hz.

With a half descent sub-woofer system you can go slightly below 40Hz.

For the arty effects described above, a frequency range down to 10Hz or below, with lots of power, is needed. This is costly!

I have a SoundWorks 310 sub-woofer system, that's not very expensive, with frequency range from 38Hz, IIRC. It's added some cool bass effects compared to my earlier speakers.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Webmaster of Combat Mission för svensktalande, a CM site in Swedish. Norwegians, Finns, Danes and Icelanders are also welcome as members, others can still enjoy pictures and downloads.

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.

Well, I hate to admit this, but I once went to a wild party (when I was much younger and more foolish) where someone decided to set off about seven sticks of dynamite up in a tree about 75 feet from us as practical joke. Those of you who have commented about the ground shaking and sound, etc... from artillery would be interested to know that when you are REALLY close to an HE blast there is no sound that you can perceive. It's more like something hitting you on the side from the direction of the explosion, there is a big cloud of dust that appears instantly, you feel everything move and the ground pitch up and down (if you aren't blown off your feet), then you are kind of in shock and really can't do anything for a few seconds, then you kind of realize what has happened, but of course you are totally deaf for a few more minutes and very shakey. It was about a full 15 minutes before I could function normally.

In my case the explosion blew out every window facing the blast in a cabin that was 30 or 40 feet further away from the explosion then we were!

[This message has been edited by StellarRat (edited 02-15-2001).]

Originally posted by StellarRat:

Well, I hate to admit this, but I once to a wild party (when I was much younger and more foolish) where someone decided to set off about seven sticks of dynamite up in a tree about 75 feet from us as practical joke.

[This message has been edited by StellarRat (edited 02-15-2001).]

Don't muck us about. It was you setting off the dynamite, wasn't it? That's why you edited the post-- you changed "I" to "Someone". smile.gif

StellarRat,

You came very close to qualifying for the Annual Darwin Award for the most outrageously stupid method of self-extinction.

In all fairness to myself, I have to say that no one at the party knew these guys were going to set the dynamite off. They had it rigged up before anyone got there. They lined us and had a camera out like they were going to take our picture then BOOM! It was total surprise to everyone but the people that set up the dynamite (no I wasn't one of the ones that was in on the joke.) At least they had the "intelligence" to set it off way up in the tree so no one would be hit by flying gravel. Anyway, it was not an enjoyable experience, but it was "unique".