Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Scalable Command

I'm a huge fan of Combat Mission and I'm looking forward to Combat Mission 2, but one thing I really can't get past is the lack of scalable command. On some very large engagements it can take hours to move all our your units. This is fine for some people who want to spend the time doing so, but I would have much more fun direction units from a batalion, company or even platoon level. You should be able to issue orders or assign objectives to a subordiante HQ unit and that HQ unit should use it AI to accomplish the goal. This would also allow for more players in a multi player game. Several players could assume command at different levels on the same side. Information could only flow between the HQ units or their replacements if they are distroyed. If you wanted to move all your units manually, you would have that option. If not, you could have the computer assume command of your subordinate HQ units. This would make it much more fun, and realistic to play larger scale maps. Just a thought, and a request for the next Combat Mission. Be it 2 or 3. I'm a patient man and I can wait for a game of this quality.

You know that you can select several units at once and give them simple command, yes?

It doesn't help you for now, but you might want to check out Tacops, which allows for more flexibale unit assignment on an only slightly larger scale (just so much as to avoid all that TacAI coding). Tacops 4, expected in a few months will laso have multiplayer as you suggest, with FOW between the cooperative players. And it's a fine game, too.

BTW, it is CMBB, not Combat Mission 2. Combat Mission 2 with have a largely rewritten engine.

I don't think that variable unit assignment so that you can give detailed commands to a larger unit that default, because that creates a nightmare of TacAI coding. What is controlled by the Player one time is controlled by the TacAI next time. That won't work out well.

In addition to Redwolf's comments, I can offer a tip on how I use the multiple orders features of the current system. I get a view that isolates the platoon easily enough, draw the box around the platoon to select all of it, and then give them a group "move" order to the general area I want them to go - sometimes 2-3 waypoints in succession, each typically a large area of cover.

But I don't stop there. Next I select each unit and drag the waypoints around in view 5 or 6 (overhead but reasonably close zoom). Since the group move lines often end in open ground, or too far inside cover, this quickly corrects things. I can also change the speed of each "leg" of the move, some to run, some to sneak, etc. Some are fine and don't need to be touched. A little tweaking, and the group move has become detailed unit moves adapted to the local terrain.

Works for me...

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: JasonC ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

BTW, it is CMBB, not Combat Mission 2. Combat Mission 2 with have a largely rewritten engine.

<hr></blockquote>

Beeeeeeep! Wrong. AFAIK CMBB is Combat Mission 2. The current term used for the engine rewrite is CM II.

And yes, I was bored... ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JasonC:

I get a view that isolates the platoon easily enough, draw the box around the platoon to select all of it, and then give them a group "move" order to the general area I want them to go - sometimes 2-3 waypoints in succession, each typically a large area of cover.<hr></blockquote>

I don't now if I’m doing it wrong but i can only give one waypoint when i give orders to groups and all previous orders will be erased. :confused:

Maybe it's a PC thing...

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Swift ]</p>