Paratroopers

A nice added feature for Combat Mission 2 would be a random deployment by the computer for paratroopers. Scenerio designers could pinpoint location for paratroopers and computer could drop them depending on calculations as near enough to drop zone to reflect effect of strong winds. Remember what happened at D-Day.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking but can't they do that now. I mean if you design a game you can have anything enter the game at anytime - right? So they could have paratroopers drop in anytime. Drop in, get it? So anyway is that what you mean? :confused:

The only way to get close to this is to break up the paratrooper reinforcements into 2 or 3 seperate reinforcement slots, then give each one a different entry flag and a fairly low % chance to appear. Hopefully you'd get differences from one battle to the next in how many paratroopers appeared and where. That takes up a bunch of reinforcement slots, however.

Until we can have this "large entry area" vs "specific entry point," the answer to your original question is no.

Something else that might be nice to have would be an "either/or" setting, wherein if reinforcement slot 1 shows up, slot 2 is negated. This wouldn't be historical (was any commander ever told "okay, get ready to go in but wait to see if Jones makes it. If he gets into action, you just sit here and wait it out") but it would add to replayability.

DjB

Well I certainly don't anticipate making a game up but I do create my own battles and when I want a surprise I get my wife to come in and pick a time that either my own troops or the enemies arrive on the map. It really adds something to the game so I agree that it would be neat to have. So now that I understand - good idea. I think in the future I will also have her picking a location. Thanks a bunch for the idea - cool! :D

Have thought up a lottery draw system for paratroop drops.

Determine the initial drop point on the map for mission and then pull 1 of 8 numbers out of hat to determine the following:

A. Wind Direction

North = 1

South = 2

East = 3

West = 4

NE = 5

NW = 6

SE = 7

SW = 8

B. Wind Range = Distance from Drop Zone

1. No wind. No effect

2. Light winds = 2 squares

3. Light Winds = 2 squares

4. Med winds = 5 squares

5. Med winds = 6 squares

6. Strong Winds = 8 squares

Anyone with any other ideas or comments please let me know. Sometimes you just have to use the old 'boardgame' rules to do the job for you.

"how many drops were there on the eastern front? all i know is that both sides had paratroopers and the capability."

Don't think I qualify as a grog Chad, but the only paratroop drop on the Eastern front I'm aware of is the Pripet marshes. I'm at work so I haven't got books to hand with any more details, but I'm sure an obliging grog will drop by soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

how many drops were there on the eastern front?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm not certain of any German drops but I don't believe they conducted any operational level drops; the only Soviet drops at that scale were at Vyazma in early 1942, arguably Demyansk (also in 1942, although seldom mentioned), and Bukhrin Bend in 1943. The latter was such a disaster that no major airborne operations were attempted by the Soviets again for the rest of the war.

They did appear to try a few smaller level (battalion sized) drops a number of times that went a little more smoothly, but as in other nations' armies, Soviet paratroopers ended up just being used as crack infantry most of the time.

Not too many English language sources on Soviet Airborne ops in WWII - only decent English sources I'm aware of are Glantz's A History of Soviet Airborne Forces and Zaloga's Inside the Blue Berets, and neither concentrate exclusively on any one operation. Any of a number of general histories of the Russo-German war would probably include a summary of the Bukhrin operation, though.

Scott

There were a few German drops around the outskirts of Leningrad. I don't have the book on me right now, so don't know the name of the suburb, but the German paratroopers were instrumental in taking the last remaining rail connection between Leningrad and Moscow in October(?) of 1941. It was a drop, secure, and link-up operation.

I think there were some more as well in the Leningrad area.

I don't think the Germans used paratroopers following the 1941 airborne assault of Crete. Losses were so high (more than a third of 22,000 man force that Hitler forbade all future airbone operations. (p45 A Bridge Too Far - Corneilius Ryan)