Roumanian WW2 site

Roumania seems to be the European spelling - it's used in many official papers from GB, Germany, etc. Romania appears to be the American spelling, and is therefore inherently wrong! :D

And it isn't named after a Roman province - the province in that area was "Dacia". I read somewhere that it's actualy named after Rome itself, but I forget teh whole story.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Roumania seems to be the European spelling - it's used in many official papers from GB, Germany, etc. Romania appears to be the American spelling, and is therefore inherently wrong!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey I resemble that remark :D The inherently wrong part.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Am I seeing things, or is that a photo of two Rumanians proudly posing with the headless corpse of a Ploesti raider?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno about the proudly bit....but I think that's what the extensive english caption to the photo says - yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Dunno about the proudly bit<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> One wonders why they are smiling - or posing at all while holding bits of him up...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>....but I think that's what the extensive english caption to the photo says - yes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but is that actually a headless corpse? I think I can make out a hand but the photo is pretty small on my monitor....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Am I seeing things, or is that a photo of two Rumanians proudly posing with the headless corpse of a Ploesti raider?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy obviously has a head but his legs are crushed.

Well, I suppose you can't expect people smiling when they carry a corpse.

The Romanian Military Museum has much worse looking pictures of American pilots shot down over Romania -- some of them look like the men actually passed through a meat-grinder. There are also a lot of pictures of other mutilated men -- Romanian soldiers, Russian and German soldiers...

You can't have an accurate historical depiction of a war without photographing some of the casualties.