Barbed Wire Glitch (SPOILER)

I was playing VoT as the Germans today when the US had a +150% advantage. The computer sent about 2 companies down the valley on the opposite side of the road of hill 198. However, I had a line of barber wire there plus the area was sited for my 81mm mortars, my 150mm IG, and 2 of MG pillboxes. BUT, the Americans just ran right through the barbed wire like it wasn't there. This rush took me by surprise and allowed the Americans to just overwhelm the town since I wasn't able to get enough kills with my MGs, mortars, and IG (even though together the mortars got at least 53 kills). Has anyone ever seen this bug before?

All American

Guest Scott Clinton

Well...yes. But at least in my case it was NOT a bug.

I had three wires side by side...or so I thought.

After the THIRD damn US squad ran through I looked real closely and noticed a very small gap between two of the wires.

The AI must have seen this gap like it was painted in neon and literally focused its main thrust at it (Damn you Charles! wink.gif ).

Luckily for me I had a squad and a Hvy MG42 backing up the wire. But it cost me both by the time I sealed that little breakthrough.

I guess what I am trying to say is make sure you don't have ANY gaps between the wires.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Yep, I think this has happened once to me too. I can't swear that there was not a glitch, but I am pretty sure that the US troops ran over the wire on the centre of the tile. I got so surprised that I forgot to check more closely.

[This message has been edited by DrAlimantado (edited 05-20-2000).]

Guest TOBRUK

Yes, I've had that problem too. I had a squad run half the length of a barb wire roll. When I ordered them to run out (again, the long way), they did so with no effort. when they emerged they had no injuries or casualties.

I've also had a tank roll down the road and stop adjacent to an area occupied by a squad of Engineers, and trigger a mine which knocked the tank out. A little 'mine' sign popped up behind the tank right after the explosion. This same sign had disappeared earlier when the engineers took up their position.

There seem to be many little oddities like this in the gold demo. I hope the final is not buggy. (perish the thought!)

BTS- what do you think about these occurances?

Hmmm, I wonder if we need to set the scale to "realistic" when laying out the wire. Haven't checked to see if that's the case, next game I play Germans in I'll check it out.

Thats not it frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Darwin (edited 05-20-2000).]

Guest TOBRUK

ok, I've looked at this barbed wire thing again in another game: the AI seems to not direct troops through barbed wire, but I can order them into or through it with no resulting problem.

The barbed wire seems to be NO impediment. It doesn't appear to work.

I respectfully ask BTS to comment on this if they could. Steve, Charles? Are we wrong about this observation?

Thanks for your time...

Guest Charles

My guess as to why some units cut through barbed wire like butter goes like this: it depends upon the quality of the unit. Green troops will have a hard time getting through barbed wire while veteran units won't because of experience cutting wire while under fire.

This is just a theory as I haven't tested this, but it seems plausible to me.

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

I too have had this problem/advantage (depending on which side I am playing as). I have been able to order my troops to walk straight through the barbed wire.

Is this a glitch or is Charles (not the BTS Charles) correct in his assessment that Veteran troops can go straight through barbed wire because of their experience in cutting the wire?

Guest TOBRUK

Just bringing this up agin to see if BTS could comment on the barbed wired problem many of us are having?

Thanks; sorry to be a pain.... smile.gif