Challenge to Mac users

Okay, there are some really great mods being developed for CM by Madmatt and his crew, but they are PC users and don't have the expertise to translate them for us Mac folks. Isn't there someone out there with the technical expertise to do the translations (or whatever is required)? I wish I had the skills, but I don't. frown.gif Who's going to step up???? Heck, CM was written on a Mac. Are we going to let the PC users get away with this? Where's our pride? wink.gif

Well, my roommate is working on a mod right now (for the GD, of course, but he's setting it up to apply directly to the release version too) and, from what I see, it should be trivial to convert it. I'll give it a shot when he gets done and let people know how it works!

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

Are we going to let the PC users get away with this? Where's our pride? wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, we are NOT! tongue.gif There will be mods for the mac, even if I have to do it myself!

Is there anyone working on this? Any comment from mod developers? Any comment fromBTS? Anyone?

Hey Scott C and G4A, that's good news. I know that Madmatt and Kwazydog and others are willing to share their work (or at least that's what they've said). Rather than re-inventing the wheel, perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to translate their mods.

Guest Madmatt

We (Mad-Dog team) keep asking for some assistance or commitment from someone to do the conversions for us. Every time the same three people say how easy it SHOULD be then we hear nothing more.

So let me state for the record, without help THERE WILL BE NO MAC VERSION OF THE MDMP MOD PACKS!!!

Take it as a challenge, a request for help or with a grain of salt but please TAKE IT and someone contact ME with a commitment to help us...

Madmatt

Bill Carey? You listening my friend???

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

There was some earlier discussion about this at http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/005350.html

Later in the thread was a reference by "Marty" to a utility.

Converting PC files to MAC is very easy. A kind person in Germany has already written a

free convertor utility you can download to your MAC. You then just drag and drop a single

file or a group of files onto the icon and it will go through th conversion routine adding the resource fork. This should work just fine unless there is something really unusual about the CM file formats....The convertor is -Maconverter 1.1.2 located at...

http://home.main-rheiner.de/soft.rabbit/ I have DL'd it but haven't yet tried it.

Marty if your there? Or anyone else?

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 06-16-2000).]

Hey, Jdmorse, maybe you could ask Madmatt if he could provide a sample of the mods to try the utility with. Madmatt, are you listening?

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced it will be so easy. I've used some converter utilities before, and they don't always work as advertised. It's not always just a matter of resource forks. But you can try it and see.

I'll share what meager knowledge I have - talked with someone the other day on a chat and found out some things (some I already knew). Apparently the graphics are "bundled" (for lack of a better word) into Graphics 1, 2, etc. files. These can be opened with an application called Res Edit. Once there you will see a series of graphics in thumbnail rows. Select the one you wish to modify, copy it (Command C) and paste it into Adobe Photoshop (or some other graphics program, I guess). In Photoshop I know you modify the graphic. Once finished, copy the thing and then paste it where it came from to begin with. This is where I can't get it right. When I paste it into the file it automatically renames the file (which doesn't allow the game to find it - so it doesn't work). Basically I got it this far but I need help to go further. Oh yeah, ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER. MAKE A COPY OF THE GRAPHICS FILE BEFORE YOU SCREW WITH IT OR YOU MAY END UP WITH A MODIFIED FILE THAT DOESN'T WORK AND NO ORIGINAL TO FALL BACK ON. Copy the Graphics file to your desktop for safekeeping, modify the file in your game folder. If it doesn't work, simply trash the non-working modified file and replace with the original. That's all I know. Someone else maybe can pick it up from here.

buddy, you need to open the PICT in ResEdit before you paste. Otherwise you're just making a new one.

MadMatt, it would be easy, but I don't have the mod yet! And since you're not done yet, I didn't see the point in asking. I also don't have the game yet, so I wouldn't know which Graphic file to put the PICTs in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We (Mad-Dog team) keep asking for some assistance or commitment from someone to do the conversions for us. Every time the same three people say how easy it SHOULD be then we hear nothing more.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, this is the first I have heard about a request for help. I converted CoolColJ's mods, so I guess I'll just pick up your gauntlet and slap you with it smile.gif Send me an e-mail telling me what you need done.