HQ Units and Role Playing

BTS,

I hate to give away my age here, but I seem to remember, way back in my childhood days of 'Squad Leader', that there was some method for a player to take on the role of one of the leaders.

The player would keep track of 'Elan' and 'Cowardice' points earned throughout a scenario, and get promoted or demoted accordingly.

Would it be possible to add something like this into CM? Perhaps on the 'Casualities inflicted' screen. At least for the HQ units, I think it would be a nice touch.

Players who wish to create their own campaigns could then have HQ units carry over from battle to battle.

Yeah, I could do it myself, but it seems like the computer could do it much better and more accurately. For example, I finish a quick battle and check the stats of my alter ego on the 'casualities inflicted' screen. It says something like; 'Rallied two squads, led 1 squad in the destruction of a tank, had 1 squad routed under his command, had 6 infantry casualities under his command' etc.

I would think that the game could even update the HQ's attributes, if necessary. I could them create another quick battle and easily insert the unit.

Guest Rommel22

I always put my name on the highest ranking HQ unit. It makes you be more carefull with a specific unit.

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

I don't have a particularly common last name but its cropped up twice in QBs. Both times my "alter ego" was a Lt in a British Airborne formation - both times I completed my set-up before I noticed - and both times "my" platoon HQ was overrun holding a flank by hordes of bloody SMG squads. Its a little distressing seeing a "relative" get overrun and their platoon wiped out to a man.

Next time I will ensure my "relative" gets a role in the centre where he will no doubt get steamrollered by a bunch of tanks that won't play fair - "just a little closer - then that PIAT will be able to reach you"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

BTS have specifically chosen not to carry units through from battle to battle as per Close Combat, as this is unrealistic.

David

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, that’s to bad. As we all know no simulation is realistic. CM is an excellent product that functions very nicely in it’s role of providing a fun and entertaining experience. A carry over from battle to battle of even a HQ unit would add to my fun tremendously. After all that is why I play games, to have fun.

You can edit existing scenarios just by loading them in the scenario editor.

After playing a scenario PBEM, I like to go into the editor and see just what my opponent had available to him or how likely it was for reinforcements to arrive.

(And the 'F' in RTFM means 'Fine' as the manual really is good)

Jason